Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

trans issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 10:55 AM
Default trans issue

Hey guys I just finished up my motor/trans replacement in my 99 ex put in a 97 80k mile motor/trans combo I think its a y8 don't remember for sure. Anyways it runs great pulled it out of the garage today and went to take it for a test drive around the block. As soon as I pulled out on the road I head a snapping sound and lost all movement. Motor still runs but trans isn't putting out any power. No gears. I installed a new clutch and throw-out bearing. Just checking to see if anyone had any ideas or things to check before I pull this car back apart to tear into the trans. Thanks in advance to any ideas you guys may have.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:46 PM
Recognized HCF Member

This is very common. One of the axles popped out. Make sure they are all the way in, you should not be able to pull them out by hand. If they won't stay in you need to replace the spring clips on the splined end of the axle that fits in the transmission.

The way to tell it is an axle problem is to watch the speedometer when you put it in gear and try to go. Speedometer goes up means that the differential gear in the transmission is indeed turning.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:51 AM

thanks. That was the problem. I got the passenger side popped in and checked the drivers side. Took it for another test and made it about 2 blocks and then the drivers side wheel came off and that side shaft popped out. I guess is was just in far enough t take it a bit more then the passenger side popped out the first time. Now I have to pull front apart and do wheel bearings and front hubs and install my camber kit front and rear. Then I should be ready to actually drive he car.

I bought the car about a month ago blown up ad tore apart. Im feeling retty good about my first Honda build now.