Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 08:32 AM
Default Transmission Problems

Hi everyone, I'm new here so here goes. I have a 2003 Honda Civic DX. I bought it new literally off the show room floor and have been relatively satisfied with it over the past 10 years. It has low miles for a car its age 118+k. Aside for a couple for fender benders(my fault) and some cosmetic issues, is in decent shape. The main problem I am having now is the transmission. It grinds at high rpms, approx. 4-5k(sorry no tach for specifics) in the first 3 gears before finally smoothing out. AAMCO(never take it there again) said that it could be a couple of broken teeth on the gears, but until I shelled out $500 they couldn't be sure. Any ideas? Any and all comments and suggestions for a diagnosis and remedy would be greatly appreciated. Also any special tools needed to replace driver and passenger side lock cylinders? They have both been frozen for years and will cost about $200 to have replaced. I am trying to do as much as I can on my own to save money as well as teach myself about my car. One last thing what all do I need to do a mid-range tune up?

Old 10-14-2013, 12:33 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Manual transmission?

The first thing is of course to check that it is full of fluid. Honda manuals prefer a special fluid-- not ATF or heavy gear oil.

If you hear a grinding noise with the engine idling in neutral (you can tell its from the transmission when it goes away when you push the clutch pedal down), the input shaft bearings are bad. This is very common, those being the weakest part in the transmission. They are not very expensive to replace.

Lock cylinders I think you just take the inside door panel off and pull off the clip to release the cylinder. At least that's how the older models are.

Have you replaced the timing belt yet? It's due.

Last edited by mk378; 10-14-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:25 PM

Thanks for the info. yes it's a 5spd. Never owned an automatic in my life. don't trust them. as far as I know the tranny fluid is good level wise. probably needs to be changed given the cars age. not being a mechanic, I haven't a clue what shaft bearings our whatever are. could you elaborate and roughly what it would cost to replace. I've tried to work on the locks b4, and they are a pain I the rear. timing belt Wil probably be next on my agenda. thanks again.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:56 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Here is a drawing of some of the parts inside the transmission. The transmission must be removed from the car to disassemble it. Labor to remove and reinstall the transmission is the major cost of the job.

Honda Automotive Parts

Part #15 is usually the problem. Of course once the transmission is taken apart (which is to just open the case, it isn't necessary to take every single gear out to do the bearings) you can see if there is other damage and consider replacing the whole thing with a used transmission instead.

Any competent third-party mechanic can do this job, you do not need to go to a dealer or a so-called "transmission expert".

Last edited by mk378; 10-15-2013 at 09:03 AM.