Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Uh oh. Now my Check Engine Light is flashing.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 09:23 AM
Unhappy Uh oh. Now my Check Engine Light is flashing.

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and looked around to see if there were any previous threads that might help me. I didn't find the specific issue I'm experiencing, so here goes.

I’ve had a problem with my 96 Honda Civic DX's (@124k miles) Check Engine light for about eight months now. When the Check Engine light first went on, it was not flashing. It remained lit and solid through several trips to two separate mechanics, neither of whom were able to make it go away.

The first mechanic read the code, said there was a problem with one of the cylinders (can’t recall which one right now), and replaced the spark plugs. When that didn’t work, I had to bring the car back to have him tighten the spark plug wires and check the oxygen sensor. None of this worked, and I was already out some money.

So after doing some research to find another mechanic who came well-recommended, I brought my car to a different garage. The mechanic told me the engine was misfiring randomly. He replaced the distributor cap, which didn't help. When I brought my car back to him for a second visit, he told me I may need a new distributor, but that he’d have to do some costly investigation to diagnose the problem and ultimately fix it. He knew I was concerned about putting in a ton of money to fix this since my car is old (I don't want to go over the value of the car). He eventually told me the solid CEL wasn’t really dangerous to my car, and I could drive it normally. So I decided to trust him and see what happened.

I had to take time off from work for all these visits, and get someone to drive me to the garage and pick me up each time, which was a major hassle. Not to mention the money I'd already spent trying to fix this issue.

Well, about two weeks ago, the CEL started flashing intermittently when I hit the gas. When it starts flashing, I back off the gas, and it usually stops eventually. I've also noticed sort of a whining, grating sound that seems to occur intermittently, and not necessarily when I'm pushing the gas pedal.

I’ve read that the EGR valve may cause problems like this. My car idles fairly roughly, but it hasn't stalled at all. I asked my second mechanic if he could clean the EGR valve for me, but he told me he can't do that. I haven't asked him why not yet, but I suspect it's either too much trouble, or he's remembering I don't want to go over the value of the car with repair bills.

I’m getting pretty frustrated here. This just seems to be a guessing game of hit or miss, which is all costing me money, effort and time. Any advice? Should I resign myself to just getting a new car because of this issue? I'm hesitant to drive too far while the CEL is flashing intermittently.

Last edited by lah2001; 01-30-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:13 PM
Recognized HCF Member

No one replaced the spark wires? Misfiring when you step on the gas is usually weak sparks. I would strongly recommend using genuine OEM wires even though they are expensive, many aftermarket wires are junk.

EGR system does need periodic cleaning. That is not a very complicated job for someone who has done it before (you should look for a mechanic with Civic experience). Clogged EGR will cause CEL on and failed smog test, but generally not misfiring.

Before spending more money on the car you should do a compression test to confirm the engine doesn't have an internal problem. A 1996 Civic with low miles and good condition is actually worth more than you might think, it's a great economy car.

Last edited by mk378; 01-30-2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:17 PM
HCF Member

compression test should have been done in the first place but most mechanics unfortunately are rip off artist that want nothing more then to sell you parts and services you don't need. they usually mark women as an easy kill.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:05 PM
Default Yep

You know, that's what I've always suspected, but I don't want to categorize all mechanics as one way or another. And, sadly, if some mechanics see me as an easy target because of lack of car experience, they're pretty much right.

Would it make sense for me to take my car to a Honda dealer (yaaaah, money!) and request a compression test? How much does that run?

I'd like nothing more than to repair this and be able to use my car until it literally falls apart.

I'll check with my current mechanic on whether he replaced the spark wires.