Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Vent rattle noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 05:23 PM
mxs
HCF Member
Default Vent rattle noise

In the summer I usually drive with the windows down all the time, unless it is raining... like it was yesterday. I turn on the vents and I hear this rattle-ish noise coming from under the dash on the passenger side. Maybe it's not a rattle, more of a repeated soft clicking sound. If I turn up the fan all the way, it gets louder... The noise is there whether or not the AC is on, AND it is there whether or not I even have the lower vents on. I can turn on just the upper vents and the noise is still there.

I'll probably investigate it this weekend, but first, does anyone have any suggestions? or a similar problem?

Old 07-30-2005, 03:30 PM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: Vent rattle noise

OK, I did a little investigation. The noise isn't coming from the vent, it's coming from the blower motor. And I was wrong about the speed -- if I turn the vents up all the way, it gets louder AND faster. I don't know if there's anything actually WRONG witht he motor, because it is still running and it's pushing a lot of air. Do you think I can take it apart and see if there's something in the fan blades? is that a good idea? Maybe just clean it out? How would stuff get in there anyway?

thanks!!

Old 07-31-2005, 03:16 PM
mxs
HCF Member

anyone?

Old 07-31-2005, 05:10 PM
HCF Member

im sure something coulda got stuck in there.........just pull it out and take a look.....ud have to pull it out to replace it anyway......im sure a new one isnt too much $$

Old 07-31-2005, 07:03 PM
HCF Member

take it out and clean it out, there could be just a build up of dust and dirt, or it could be loose, make sure its snug

Old 08-01-2005, 04:09 PM

ORIGINAL: mxs
Maybe it's not a rattle, more of a repeated soft clicking sound. If I turn up the fan all the way, it gets louder... The noise is there whether or not the AC is on, AND it is there whether or not I even have the lower vents on. I can turn on just the upper vents and the noise is still there.

I'll probably investigate it this weekend, but first, does anyone have any suggestions? or a similar problem?
The sound will tend to remind you of clipping cards on to your bike to hear the noise it makes on the spokes, only faster.

Sounds like something got in throught the fresh air vent from outside and is stuck in the blower fan. Time to get in there and clean it out. I have had pine needles or things like straws that some how got into the blower from outside and were clicking on the fan blades. Depending on the car, it's an easy thing to fix or an all day job of ripping the dash out to get to the blower motor.

Old 08-01-2005, 04:55 PM
mxs
HCF Member

I found the blower motor, it is right under the glove box. 3 screws and it should pop right out (I hope). I'll probably get to it on the weekend. There better not be any dead animals in there [sm=insomnia.gif]

Old 08-01-2005, 09:14 PM

ORIGINAL: mxs
I found the blower motor, it is right under the glove box. 3 screws and it should pop right out (I hope). I'll probably get to it on the weekend. There better not be any dead animals in there [sm=insomnia.gif]
LOL, Trust me if there were, you'd know it for sure by the third day.... On a hot day that afternoon! [sm=sick.gif]

Old 08-06-2005, 08:49 PM
mxs
HCF Member

Diagnosis: LEAVES! Lots of them!

Note: you do have to take the kick panel off to get the motor out. It's best to remove the panel before you detach the motor and it is half-hanging, half jammed in there.

[sm=burnout.gif]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4155/C75DF53003ED4786BF723F14080DF4D2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-26-2007, 03:57 PM

Mine just started this... how hard is it to get it out?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Vent rattle noise