Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

vtec controller oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 07:27 AM
Default vtec controller oil leak

hi i have a 1995 eg6 civic vti and there seems to be an oil leak coming from the vtec contoller can anyone tell me the best way to cure this oil leak ? as my mate says they can be very difficult to take apart
many thanks
andy

Old 12-02-2007, 08:52 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: vtec controller oil leak

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread myself - in case my oil leak turns out to not be the distributor seal(s).

You might start here: http://www.honda-civiconline.com/dat...Inspection.pdf

And poke around for more information about your car here: http://www.honda-civiconline.com/CIVIC%201995-1997.html

Old 12-03-2007, 08:02 PM
HCF Member

I put a new oil seal on my distributor, and it did nothing for the leak. However, there's no guarantee that I got the right oil seal though. I tried a '215' O-ring, and it wouldn't even go on. Then I went back to the parts store for a '214' and although it went on, there's a little bit of 'slack' in the O-ring itself - its inside diameter is about 2 or 3mm more than the outside diameter of the seal seat. The computer didn't show anything listed for this particular seal, so I'm going to have the parts guy look it up in the Fel-Pro book. If there's nothing there, then I guess I'll try the next size down - not like this is a really tough thing to do, after all.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:44 PM
HCF Member

Update: I cleaned up the area once again, and swapped out the distributor seal for a '213' O-ring. This time, I fired up the engine and watched awhile. It started leaking again, but not from the distributor area. Guess it wasn't the distributor after all, since my little mirror showed no evidence of leakage around the distributor shaft seal whatsoever... yet there was oil flowing right by.

So I felt around and discovered the bottom of the VTEC Solenoid/Module was 'wet' with oil. Decided to pull it off, and remembered that the gasket that seals it to the head was not replaced, because there wasn't one in the Fel Pro Head Kit I ordered. I'd re-used it.

I tossed around the idea of just Perma-texing it, but discretion being the better part of valor, I chose to look around. None of the local auto parts stores stock it - in fact, their computers say 'Dealer Item Only'. I even had my favorite parts store call the Awfulplex (the local Honda stealership), actually called the Autoplex, but they've screwed me in the past), and they blew him off. So I found a couple places online and ordered from there.

I ordered Monday evening, and had the parts before lunchtime today (Wednesday). A little pricey for shipping for one of them, but worth it IMHO to not have to deal with the Awfulplex. I know... I carry a grudge. But they both took PayPal, so the transaction was a snap.

Anyhoo - here's the sources for those elusive seals:
http://www.autodynamics-honda.com/hopr3p08p13v.html
For the VTEC-to-head mounting seal with the filter/screen. It's like $17 or so with lots of shipping.

http://www.thepartsbin.com/catalog/p...olenoid_gasket
This is the seal that goes between the top of the VTEC Solenoid and the spool body - you'll need one of those too - It's only like $4.95. Make sure you provide the information for your car, it'll be easier to find.

Hope this helps someone, and I hope I'm not stepping on any advertisers' toes pointing these sites out.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:50 PM
HCF Member

You're welcome.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:05 PM
HCF Member

So I finally got a chance to swap out the VTEC Solenoid seals today - and Voila! No more oil leak.

Both of the seals I got from these places went right in, and did just fine - fit like they were supposed to.

I hope this helps someone down the road.