Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

weird (thumping noise) Please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 09:16 PM
Default weird (thumping noise) Please help

Ok heres the deal I got this weird noise coming from the front driverside wheel (atleast thats what it sounds like), when driving on the freeway it sounds like a rattle like a bad cv shaft or wheel bearing. I had replaced the driver side caliper and rotor but not the pads because i had bought it from a guy that just did brakes but the rotor was warped and the caliper was frozen and im not 100% if the noise is coming from the pads/rotor. I also took the car in for a wheel balance and they said that one of the tires was bad it was warped like no other but they put it on the rear of the car and said you will hear it but shouldn't affect the driving, does anyone know if this sounds like possibly bad wheels all around or possible wheel bearing or something else. The noise isn't loud unless you listen for it but you can feel it on the floor of the car when driving

Old 09-29-2010, 05:18 AM
HCF Member

Replace that warped tire before it burst or something. It's for your safety as well as others around you. Thumping noise will probably go away, too.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:23 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Also check the pressure in all 4 tires. Yes a bad tire will shake and thump. And don't keep driving on a tire like that, it's prone to blow out.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:04 AM

alright I will have to look into it, I live in wisconsin and the winter is coming quick and this car is only for summer so I was looking to do tires next year and goodyear where i took it said the one tire is pretty bad but just warped and that the others seemed fine but i think that all four are screwed up so I wanna get new tires all around

Old 09-29-2010, 11:04 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by 98civicjdm
alright I will have to look into it, I live in wisconsin and the winter is coming quick and this car is only for summer so I was looking to do tires next year and goodyear where i took it said the one tire is pretty bad but just warped and that the others seemed fine but i think that all four are screwed up so I wanna get new tires all around
You could get one new tire to get by, although it is recommended to have all four replaced at one time. I replaced one bumpy tire once and the rest was like at least 4 years old if not more. Never felt any compromise in drive-ability or safety, but it was me. Driving like an old man.

What is it like in Wisconsin during winter? Does it get below 60?

Just kidding.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:49 PM

I wouldnt buy a new set of tires only to drive them for a month and let them sit for 6 months. If you dont drive your car at all during that period its bad on the tires.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:37 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by tasmanian
I wouldnt buy a new set of tires only to drive them for a month and let them sit for 6 months. If you dont drive your car at all during that period its bad on the tires.
He could rotate the tires once in a while and I don't mean changing positions of tires, here. More like roll the car so tires don't take set.

He could place the car on jack stands and un-load weight from tires. Or remove and deflate them.

I'm just thinking out loud. I have never winterized cars or any machines, so what I am saying doesn't make sense, maybe.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:11 PM

Well here's the thing I crawled under the car and it seems like the CV shaft has a little play in it not alot though and i know they are supposed to have a little play but i crawled under the girls civic and it is a little snugger then mine. Also when i make hard right turns or go in circles going right you can hear rubbing or slight grinding and when you go the opposite way it doesn't make it, when you have that driver side wheel up and turn the wheel all the way to the right you can hear the cv shaft boot rub. Does that sound like possibly CV shaft, wheel bearing or possibly maybe a strut wabbling around??? I'm getting super pist lmao I hate not knowing whats going on with this damn sound

Old 09-30-2010, 01:50 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by 98civicjdm
Well here's the thing I crawled under the car and it seems like the CV shaft has a little play in it not alot though and i know they are supposed to have a little play but i crawled under the girls civic and it is a little snugger then mine. Also when i make hard right turns or go in circles going right you can hear rubbing or slight grinding and when you go the opposite way it doesn't make it, when you have that driver side wheel up and turn the wheel all the way to the right you can hear the cv shaft boot rub. Does that sound like possibly CV shaft, wheel bearing or possibly maybe a strut wabbling around??? I'm getting super pist lmao I hate not knowing whats going on with this damn sound
To me, it sounds like you need drive shafts replaced. If you need to pick the side, I would say left side. I still think you need to replace the "warped tire" as well, because, to me, thumping sound is from tire not drive shaft.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:26 PM

ok well the warped tire is in the back and you can feel the thumping on the floor by the dead pedel and when you hit a bump it goes away but after you pass that bump on the flat pavement it comes back

Quick Reply: weird (thumping noise) Please help