Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

What is up with this AC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 10:20 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Have you measured your vent air temperature yet?

Compressor should not cycle off until the vent temperature (not necessarily the car interior temperature) is fully cold. Cycling off while the evaporator is not fully cold is usually a high pressure issue, pressure naturally gets higher with hot exterior temperature. Excessive high side pressure means the system could be contaminated with air (failure to evacuate before charging), overcharged with refrigerant or oil, or the condenser fans are not both working.
Compressor only cycles when the car accelerates. As long as it's not moving or travelling at a constant speed, the compressor stays on.

I don't believe it's overcharged. I've had her checked up at three AC shops, including a 3s dealer.

Both condensor fans turn on, and remain on, as long as the AC's running. Irrespective of the compressor cycling on or off.

I'm going to take the center vent reading today and get back to you. It should be done with blower speed set to slightly less than medium and under a shade, right? For how long, before I can get an accurate reading?

Last edited by Hi Octane; 05-29-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:48 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You can do the temperature test while driving or sitting still in neutral, but in that case rev the engine up to 1500 or 2000 rpm and hold it there. Put the air inlet on fresh, the outlet on dash vents only, and the fan on high. Make note of the outdoor temperature, and humidity if you know it.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:29 AM
HCF Member

Humidity's very high these days. Outside temp around 35 deg C.

I did the thermometer test, but it ended up showing 35 deg C, which is impossible, as the cabin was cool and cold air was coming out the vents! Looks like I'll have to get one of those thermos where the temp indicates all the way to 1 deg C.

When I had her at the dealership, they told me they did the thermometer test. It showed 45 deg F.

One of the AC techs where I took her to, popped the hood and kept the revs at 2000 rpm for a while. Compressor stayed on.

I think it cycles only when in a low gear, and the car wants to accelerate. The compressor cycles off for just that period, until the car stops accelerating. I think this is a built in feature by Honda. Pretty sure of it.