We're adding and testing new features:  Create your Garage, used it? Give us some feedback here.
Honda Civic Forum Home - Honda Civic Classifieds - Civic Photo Galleries - Create an Account

Go Back   HondaCivicForum.com > General Automotive > Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the HondaCivicForum.com.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 08:34 AM
HCF Member

Default Wheel bearing removal.....2000 ex coupe?

I need to replace the front wheel bearing on my 2000 ex coupe. How much do you have to remove to get access to the bearing?
R.I.P. Gerber
Old 04-02-2011, 09:57 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Basically you remove the steering knuckle / hub assembly from the car and then press out the bearing and press in a new one.

To remove knuckle assembly, raise the car and take the wheel off. Remove the axle nut. The axle itself will stay with the car and slide out of the hub when you remove the knuckle. Remove the brake caliper by taking out the two big bolts that hold the caliper bracket to the knuckle. Don't disconnect the brake hose, and don't let anyone press the brake pedal while the pads are not constrained by the rotor. Take off the ABS sensor, if equipped. Undo the tie rod ball joint, and the upper and lower ball joints.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:56 AM
HCF Member

I had the caliper and rotor off and the axle nut, then realized the tie rod bolt and the upper and lower ball joints would have to be removed to pull the knuckle off so i put everything back together for now.

Are removing the balljoints tough?
R.I.P. Gerber
Old 04-03-2012, 01:36 AM
2000 Honda Civic

They can be a huge pain if you don't have the right tools. You can usually get a removal tool from your local auto part shop. Your also going to need specially tools and/or air tools to put the ball joints back together when your done
Old 04-03-2012, 08:51 AM
HCF Member
1995 Honda Civic

i just did mine...the pickle fork is a godsend.spray the bolts with wd 40 to break free the connections...mine would not come loose with the bolts removed.i just couldnt get it to break free..even with the pickle fork,,but i sprayed and came back next day..it almost fell off into my lap.and while your there replace any lug studs that are chewed up.i had a local shop press the bearing in rather then beat it in with a board and hammer.you still get to do most of the work yourself,hahaha
Old 04-03-2012, 08:51 AM

Tags
2000, bearing, bearings, civic, diagram, front, honda, hub, knuckle, removal, remove, removing, steering, tool, wheel