Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Whooshing sound from engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 05:05 PM
HCF Member
Default Whooshing sound from engine

Sometimes when ive been driving for awhile or in the morning and its cold outside i hear the engine making a whooshing sound towards the right side. I have a 98 ex. I badly need an oil change and am wondering if this is the case but im not to sure.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:44 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Whooshing sound from engine

can you describe the sound a little more...
driver or passenger side?

Old 11-02-2007, 11:14 PM
HCF Member

driver side. Idk it sounds like air is coming out of somewhere or like a windy sound coming from my engine. Its pretty loud too because i can hear it with the hood closed and sometimes from in my car.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:24 PM
HCF Member

any other issues with the car? like an idle problem? ... right now i am just thinking about your throttle body.... mine made a whistling noise once and i realized that the throttle body gasket was not the right one.... has there been any recent work to the engine?
.....also check the belts... there on the drivers side and may make some pretty odd noises(usually screeching)....but you never know.... you need to check out all basic things first.

keep us posted!

Old 11-03-2007, 02:04 AM

my guess would be tour intake is leaking. hows it running???

Old 11-03-2007, 08:21 AM
HCF Member

Eh it runs alright. Nothing to significant. I mean i get the high idle when its cold but im pretty sure thats usual. Sometimes a belt squeaks when i start the car. I think its that big belt on the right side of the engine. Could that pertain to my odd sound that im hearing. And does this squeaking mean that i need to get a new belt? I dont know if the timing belt and all of that had been changed. I got a 98 ex 131xxx?

Old 11-03-2007, 12:01 PM
HCF Member

check the drive belts by feeling the tension.... and you should definetly take off the head cover to view the timing belt to see it's condition as well(just to be safe)

Old 11-03-2007, 08:36 PM
HCF Member

what should i look for to see damage.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:16 PM
HCF Member

if the belt is really old it will be very difficult to read any numbers or letters on the belt.... also you can look for small hairline cracks around the sides and on the inside of the belt...

Old 11-03-2007, 10:47 PM
HCF Member

Also inside the timing belt it has some little groves they will eventually start tocrack, peel or some little pieces from the groves will be missing because they chip away.[&:]

Quick Reply: Whooshing sound from engine