Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

wobbling pully problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 07:59 AM
HCF Member
Default wobbling pully problems

My AC went out before winter hit and i didn't replace it because i didn't need AC in the winter lol. Well, this morning the pulley on my compressor was wobbling pretty bad. I'm just curious if this is going to fall off. Also, is it possible to rebuild the compressor enough so that the pulley wont wobble? It hasn't affected and isn't affecting anything in the engine so far but Id rather not take chances.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:36 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Remove the A/C belt for now. The pulley, bearing, and clutch mechanism can be replaced.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:37 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Like Ron said, you can change the pulley bearing and clutch set without replacing the whole compressor. Unless the bearing gets hot enough that it burns out the seal in the compressor or wobbles so badly that it damages something else. If the A/C has stopped working you may have already reached that point.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:45 PM
HCF Member

So i can just remove the belt and drive like that? I dont need AC lol

Old 01-18-2010, 01:48 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by d16soda
So i can just remove the belt and drive like that? I dont need AC lol
Yes, there's no problem with removing the belt. Just cut it off if it's old and replace when you fix the compressor.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:12 PM
HCF Member

word thanks

Old 01-18-2010, 02:31 PM
HCF Member

k so now as i went back and double checked, there was a noise and i was listening and before i thought it was coming from the compressor but it wasnt. it seems to be coming out by the exhaust cover plate thing in the front of the engine. i have a video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ffDRFLXQcI

i made the video a while ago, but its the same thing. i thought this noise was coming from the compressor but it sounds like its around where im pointing and over by the exhaust.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:00 PM
HCF Member

bump for help

Old 01-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Recognized HCF Member

That tap tap or click sound is the valves need adjusting, nothing major. I couldn't really distinguish any other noises. To rule out the A/C, alternator and power steering, take all the belts off and start the engine see if the noise is still there. Bad accessory bearings make more of a whir or grind noise than a tap knock or clunk, those are almost always from inside the engine. The heat shield would sound like thin metal rattling.

Quick Reply: wobbling pully problems