Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Wobbling wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 05:55 AM
Default Wobbling wheels

Hi guys, my mechanic was changing the front wheel bearings but didn't have access to a press at the time. So he used a hammer and some sort of pipe to remove the old bearing and put in the new one. Now the front wheels seem to be wobbling. He checked everything and told me the bearing was seated properly and everything looked fine. Could he have damaged something to causethe wobble or is it something he forgot?

Old 06-24-2008, 06:28 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Wobbling wheels

Maybe you need an alignment

Old 06-24-2008, 06:30 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Don't hammer bearings in, it'll damage them.

Also the axle nut holds everything together, and if the hub wasn't seated when the nut was tightened, it'll be loose now. Job probably needs to be done over again the right way.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:53 PM
HCF Member

as mk378 said, the mechanic screwed up. front bearings need (MUST!!!) be pressed in not hammered in. This makes sure they are seated square and flush. If you trust him, take it back and get it done RIGHT (and don't pay for his screw up either) Hope it all works out for you

Old 06-25-2008, 08:14 AM

I took it to another mechanic who is a friend of my dad. He drove it around abit then took it to his workshop. He called me and said the hub appears to be bent. How could this have happened by changing wheel beaings. Was this a result of the previous mechanics work or should hubs and bearings be replaced together?

Old 06-26-2008, 05:22 AM

?

Old 06-26-2008, 07:38 AM
Recognized HCF Member

He's saying the hubs were bent by the last guy's improper service procedure. This would make the wheels wobble as they go around, but not be loose when you lift the car up and try to wiggle the wheel back and forth. Another cause of that, which I would suspect he already checked, is having foreign material between the hub and the brake rotor so the rotor does not sit flat on the hub.

The hub is just a block of metal which should last several times the life of the car if not abused. Have your new mechanic obtain new or used ones and install them correctly.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:49 PM

Thank for everyone's help

Old 07-04-2008, 08:03 PM

Updated for you guys.

It seems the problem is coming from the left front wheel only. We replaced that hub with another but there is still a vibration. Mechanic also pointed out that the bearing growl noise is still there. I hadn't realised as I was so caught up with the wobbling. Themechanic is saying that he believes the knuckle itself where the bearing goes in has become worn and is giving the vibration as the bearing turns. He said the bearing is supposed to fit tightly into the knuckle but sometimes the knuckle begins to wear. The vibration gets considerably worst under braking and car pulls to the side. What do you guys think?

Old 07-04-2008, 08:35 PM
HCF Member

Which mechanic is this? The first one or the second?

Quick Reply: Wobbling wheels