New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

$6k civic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 06:46 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: $6k civic?

i love my 96...just get some 99-00 taillights...and when you do research about turbos you'll most likely find out you don't want to buy that kit and you want to do it yourself for about one fourth the price.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:37 AM

well a guy at the shop I work at said the Greddy kit is a good starting kit. as i understand, their basic one doesnt run an intercooler, and you can safely run it at about 4-6 psi, adding about 50 hp.he said that piecing together a good turbo kit could get expensive after buying piping, mainfold, the turbo itself, etc...unless you buy used, which I dont really want to do since this thing needs to last awhile.

one other thing i forgot to include...since I do work at an aftermarket shop, I get everything at cost. our manager said I could get a good Greddy turbo kit from them brand new for around $1100.

as stated before, i dont need a speed demon, but I would like to turbo it and have a cool sounding, performace delivering "toy". ill certainly come back to this forum for advice and parts when i finally find a civic. so far i cant find anything at the dealers around here.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:50 AM
HCF Member

That sounds like a cool deal. I think you outa get a boost controller so you can run 10 PSI if you need to, and long trips and cruisin at 4 PSI for reliability and Gas mileage.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:39 PM

a boost controller will be a definate. i want it to be a very functional and practical setup. i dont wanna half do this turbo thing, so ill probably start out with the kit and build on it from there. eventually ill have good engine management, a great boost controller, and monitoring gauges/software for everything.

is the software that lets you tune it with your laptop the best way to go for self-tuing? i dont know any shops around here with a dyno or anything.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:59 PM
HCF Member

Thing is, you wanna get it tuned by someone who knows how to really well. so you shouldnt even drive the car until it has been tuned after your turbo is installed

Old 02-01-2007, 04:51 PM

ORIGINAL: WhiteRabbit1021

ORIGINAL: riceburner700

or you could go with a eg for about 2800 these days and them spend the other 3 grand on like a motor swap...ehh ehh
+1

+2

Old 02-01-2007, 05:30 PM

hey im new to this forum...so ur looking for a civic? idk if i wanna get rid of mine, bc i plan on working on it..i go tmine for 6k and its a 99' EX with 140 miles on it. u wanted to pay 6k for it right? in a couple days ill let u guys take a look at mine, ill post some picks up... good luck with ur search

Old 02-01-2007, 05:49 PM

civicbabe, where are you located?

is there any software that will make it easy to tune the car myself? like i said, i dont know of anwhere around me that does it.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:39 PM

hey im located in ohio, but once again i am thinking of keeping it, i am not sure yet, my fiance' plans on getting one, so we will be working on them....but.. get a vafc, it will allow you to adjust stuff like vtec engagement and all that fun stuff. Usually its a good idea to get a wideband setup, so that you can monitor you a/f ratio. then again if all you are doing is lowering the vtec point you wouldnt need to go that far. Let me know.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:09 PM

hey civic babe,

i found a civic here locally im probably going to buy. its a 95, owned by the manager of our shop. new engine with less that 100k miles, aftermarket exhaust, and a few other goodies. hes considering letting it go for $2900.

ill be sure to post pics if i get it.