New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

156k 2001 Civic lx

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 10:29 AM
Default 156k 2001 Civic lx

Need a list of things I need to take care of at this stage of my cars life.

I bought it at 85K from a Honda dealer.

After reading(7th gen) into my car an its complaints, it looks like this was an ugly state for the civic. A lot of it was about transmission problems but knock on wood I'm not having any problems.

I just bought a new pair of swaybar links because one popped of last night. In the last couple thousand miles I'm starting to notice a light thump somewhere on my front side passenger. I'm assumming the compliance bushings by could be something else/ other bushings. Reading in this energy bushing, sounds like I need those.

I bought new tires at 150K, so thats one thing I have out of the way.
Had to replace return hose to my power steering since it rusted out.

Are new shocks and/or struts need changed. Pushing down on my front end, its really bouncy.

Head lights suck they are oxidizing.

A brake job is probably in the picture. No squeaking or grinding, not sure if I need just pads or a whole job.

Spark plugs? Air Filter, cabin air filter?

Can someone knowledgeable list some things price ranges please?

Old 07-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Banned

if you haven't replaced the timing belt yet your on barrowed time that belt snaps say goodbye to your engine.it was due at 90,000 miles its an extensive job so its going to be expensive i would avoid the dealer because there a rip off.

Last edited by EM2slow; 07-02-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:47 AM
HCF Member

+1 on the timing belt job.

The light thump in the front you're hearing is most likely a bad shock (you'll probably see evidence of it leaking oil). Bushings are possible, but my money is on the shock. As for other bushings, you'll want to take a look at the condition of the rear trailing arm bushings. At 156k miles, mine were shot.

Headlights can be polished out pretty easily, and will clear up. The down side is that you'll need to go back with some liquid polish somewhat regularly so they stay nice and clear.

I'd wait on brakes until you need them. No sense wasting money that you don't have to.

Otherwise, just do the usual fluid changes and other maintenance as needed.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:35 AM
Banned

i know that the front lower compliance bushings for 7th gens are really bad check those you can replace the with polyurethane bushings from Energy Suspension there about 50 bucks but they will last forever also check your ball joints.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:02 AM

I failed to mention that I had the timing belt done at 100k. Replaced the brakes pads with wagners, probably will have a whole brake job next time.

Sway bar link snapped, so I replaced them both with moog.

I read into the 100% polyurethane bushings, I was wondering If I buy them will a shop put them in for me?

Old 07-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Banned

honestly you don't need a full brake job the rear drums basically last for ever because 75% of the braking force goes to the front disk though i would recommend cleaning and lubeing the rear drums if they start to squeak. the front rotors can be taken to a shop and re-surfaced for a fraction of the cost of new rotors. when you change the pads always bleed the brakes afterwards. if your mind is made about the roter replacementi recommend this kit 7th Gen Honda Civic Brake Package - StopTech Rotors And Centric Brake Pads as for the compliance bushings you can remove the lower control arm yourself and bring them to a shop to have the new ones pressed in or do yourself for free. the tool to do the job can be rented for free at most parts stores like autozone. here is a diy for the control arms its actually very easy to do. DIY: Energy Suspension LCA bushings - 7th Gen Honda Forum - The #1 Community for 2001-2005 Honda Civic Enthusiasts another option is to buy new control arms with poly bushings already attached thats the easiest route Dezod Motorsports. Control Arms .

Old 07-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Banned

and since you own a 7th gen civic here is a very useful link for different DIYs for our cars ► FAQ's and Guidelines - READ BEFORE POSTING! - Honda-Tech