New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

2000 Civic HX Sad CVT Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 02:01 PM
Unhappy 2000 Civic HX Sad CVT Tranny

Hi ALL-

This is my first post. I really, really, hope someone can help me. I have contacted every repair & transmission shop in the my state & BEYOND & I am getting mixed messages. I feel like someone on this forum has to know!

I purchased a 2000 Honda Civic HX a/t 1.6L five months ago. The transmission has blown. This is a CVT Transmission & I guess they are a pain to work with, no one in the area even touches them. HX Civics were made from 96-0000. I did read somewhere that this commonly happens with this model at 115k miles (in which I did not know.) I did have a limited warranty but I've past the mark. The dealer cannot do anything for me.

Anyway,,, from what I've heard from some shops is that there is NO used or new transmissions in the entire country.. & they are impossible to rebuild. I found on 'car-parts.com' transmissions for a '00 HX. However they say "V-TEC-e CVT." I thought what I have was just a "base" model? It does not say "V-TEC-e" when I pop the hood.

I'm getting mixed messages from shops saying it is a V-TEC-e vs. it is just a base model. On this 'car-parts' website if I select a base model it does not give me the option to select CVT, its only for a V-TEC model.

If this is a dumb question I'm sorry! I know nothing! But I have been pulling my hair out for three weeks. I'm really bummed about this car.

Any advice would be very appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:26 PM

The v-tech-e refers to the engine. All the hx models were v-tech-e. Which means basically that v-tech is used more to boost efficiency than performance. The hx models activated v-tech around 3k rpm and ex models were closer to 5k rpm if I remember correctly. As for the transmission if it says "v-tech-e cvt" you should be safe. All the transmissions from a 96-00 civic will bolt up and work you might just need a corresponding ecu. Just keep that in mind if you can't find a cvt.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:45 PM

Thanks so much! Just so I understand.. a few questions..
What is an ecu? & why would I need this if I'm not adding anything new except possibly the transmission? Does this typically go out when the tranny does?
On the website I said earlier they were running from $599-1k? The shops I was talking to said it run around 2k used & 4k new. Do you think these are too good to be true prices on the website?

Thanks again, I know nothing.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:39 PM

The ecu is the cars computer. They control everything in the car including when the transmission shifts. As for the prices on transmissions you should do your research. Check warranties and reviews. Odds are the shop has prefered dealers for new and remanufactured transmissions and engines. Some shops get precentages off these engines and transmissions for using a specific company exclusively. Thats why its best to source the part yourself and take it to a shop to be installed.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:38 PM

Thank you.

One more question- is it possible to make the car have a manual transmission & switch everything over? Cvt's don't last very long, I don't want this to be a re occurring issue.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:44 PM

It is possible but you'd need a long list of parts.
5 spd transmission
Slave cylinder
Clutch master cylinder
Clutch and brake peddle
Shifter
Shift linkages
Shift book for new shifter
Clutch kit
Flywheel
New starter

Im sure I'm missing things but you get the point

Old 08-07-2015, 08:21 PM