New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

2005 Civic EX Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 10:38 PM
Default 2005 Civic EX Sedan

Hey guys hows it going? I'm new here and just wanted to say hi. I dont own a civic yet, but I will soon. I am looking at a 2005 Civic EX Sedan with a automatic transmission. I'm going to buy it from a Honda dealership and it will be a Honda Certified Used Car. Basically my question is, is there anything I should look for that could mean problems down the road? I'm going to try to find one with no more than 40000 miles and would like it to last through out college at least(I'm about to finish my first semester now, so I've got a while to go). I'm just a little nervous buying a used car and having problems with it down the road(other than just normal wear and tear type of stuff). Thanks for all of your replies!

Old 12-07-2007, 06:41 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: 2005 Civic EX Sedan

Being Honda certified means its supposed to be checked and inspected pretty well. I would make sure they have a carfax report on it...if they do not tell them you want one (make them pay for it). That way you can tell if it were in any major accidents or flood, etc. I would also look at the body and make sure that all the panels are straight and align properly...misaligning panels (and mismatched color)might be a sign of something bad that could have happened to it. This is my OCD kicking in but I would check all the glass and make sure it has that wonderful little H on each piece....assuming that it would all be original. If you can check the brakes and make sure the discs are wearing evenly and do not have big grooves that could be a result of a bad caliper. Check the wear on the tires make sure they look evenly worn...if uneven that could be an alignment issue. When driving the car do interior panels rattle or are loose? go on a deserted hwy and punch it a little...any hesitation? Let go of the steering wheel for a few seconds...how does it track or does it pull?Look down at the steering wheel when going straight. It should be perfectly in the middle.go to a side road and jump on the breaks...again does it pull? do they seem too soft?
Check the engine compartment...I would do this after a test run (make sure you drive for about 10min to make sure the engine is up to temp. LIGHTLY grab the upper and lower coolant hoses (they both SHOULD be hot) becareful not to burn yourself. If one is cold you might have a bad head gasket (this new of a car you shouldnt have this problem but ya never know).Does it have any sorta abnormal vibration you can tell? These engines are made extremely well and balanced, shouldhavehardly any vibration.When the car starts does it have trouble starting or does it fire right up?

A lot of this stuff would be quick easy fixes...some though might seem simple and easy but be the cause of a bigger underlying problem. Either way the more picky you are the better deal you are going to get because you have more reason to pay what you think the car is worth vs what the dealer wants to charge you for it.

I am sure I left a whole lot out but at least those are some suggestions to get you going.

I know your car was previously owned by an elderly lady that only drove to church on sundays but she mighta had a lead foot! =)

Old 12-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Default RE: 2005 Civic EX Sedan

Alright I'll keep what you said in mind. Thank you!