New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

2006CivicEXCoupe Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 06:16 AM
Smile 2006CivicEXCoupe Rough Idle

Hi all- I am new to the forum and looking for advice. I have a 2006 Honda Civic EX Coupe I bought new in June of '06. Since owning I have noticed the car seems to idle a bit rough. I had it checked by dealership where I bought the car and they say all is good. I don't believe them as it still runs a bit rough especially sitting at traffic lights where I notice a shake in the car caused by the ideling engine. Thinking about changing plugs and possibly plug wires as well hoping that the rough ideling is an ignition thing. Any sugggestions on plugs and wire sets as OEM replacements?

Old 09-24-2008, 07:57 AM
HCF Member

Are you running your a/c, lights, etc. while it idles rough?

Old 09-24-2008, 08:53 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Changing the plugs and plug wires (and the air filter) is a good idea if they have not been replaced recently.

The 7th generation Civic has an idle learn procedure, but I don't know whether the 8th generation also does. If so, performing the procedure may be worthwhile. Cleaning the IACV may also have some value. Also check whether the PCV valve is stuck closed.

You might use a scan tool and timing gun to check whether the idle speed and ignition timing are set to spec. Also consider running some Seafoam through your intake manifold and gas tank.

Last edited by RonJ; 09-24-2008 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:58 AM

Thanks RonJ. I will check the PCV valve and look into the IACV as well. It's all wierd as when the car is cold just after I start it, all seems fine...smooth running. It doesn't seem to idle a bit rough until the car is at operating temperatures. I change the air filter regularly so I don't think it is a lack of air. I do not know what you are talking about as far as the idle learn procedure is concerned. It sounds like soem sort of computer thing but I have had no warning lights, codes, etc. It jiust seems liekt eh engine doesn;t run as smooth as it should. My 10-year old Saturn SL2 seemed to run smoother than this 2.5 year Honda Civic and the Saturn was 12 years old. I originally thought maybe one of my plugs was bad or I had a bad plug wire but I don't know. I understand the Honda Civic use an iridium spark plug versus platinum plugs. I may pull the plugs and look at them to see if any of them have any deposits on them and will look at eh wires to make sure they look good as well. Thanks for the suggestions related to the PCV and IACV devices.

EXCoupeMike

Old 09-25-2008, 05:57 AM
Recognized HCF Member

From your description, it sounds like you specifically have a low idle problem when the engine is warm.

No light or code would indicate the need to perform the idle learn procedure. The diagram below shows the idle learn procedure for a 7th generation Civic. You should purchase/obtain a manual for your 06 Civic to find out whether a similar procedure exists for it. If so, reset the ECU by removing the ECU fuse for a few minutes and then do the procedure.

An 06 manual will also detail procedures for adjusting the ignition timing and the idle speed.

By the way, look here for OEM replacement parts:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

Name:  picture_1451.jpg
Views: 1816
Size:  72.5 KB

Last edited by RonJ; 09-25-2008 at 06:07 AM.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:48 AM

Where exactly is the IACV located on the 8th geernation 06 Honda Civic and how hard is it to remove, clean and re-install? Also, does a dirty IACV affect the smoothness of the engine idle? I do not have issues with idle surging...just the smoothness of the idle therefore resetting the idle learning procedure doesn't seem warranted. I thought about changing from ethanol gasoline to just straight unleaded but don't know if this will help as I don;t knwo if it is a gasoline issue. To me the smoothness of the idle would seem to stem from either faulty plugs, wires or crappy gas. The issue has been present from the get go till now (42,000 miles) ...that's why I kind of hesitate thinking it is a IACV or PCV issue.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:34 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You would really benefit from the purchase of the service manual for your Civic.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:22 AM

That's great advice but how the heck to do I get ahold of one? I've tried searching on the net and have had no luck. If you know where these devices are located, could you just say where and not give me the run-around about findign them in a service manual? I woudl gladly change/clean or whatever if I knew where they were located ont eh engire. There is very little if anything ont he web concerning 2006 honda civic parts, maintenance, replacement and repairs...that is why I joined this forum to try and get soem info.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:53 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I really have no interest in giving you the run-around. All my advice was given with the intention of helping you. Take it or leave it as you see fit. As I don't have an 8th generation Civic or manual, my input has been restricted to general information about earlier model Civics. Hence, my suggestion that you obtain a 2006 Civic manual. You should be able to get one at your Honda dealer, an auto parts store, or a book store. By the way, the IACV is generally located on the throttle body and has two coolant hoses attached to it.

Search here for replacement parts and some helpful parts diagrams:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

Old 09-29-2008, 11:23 AM

Thank you...that was the kind of info I was looking for. I have tried to find a service manual such as Chiltons, Haynes or even a Honda service manual but can't seem to find one via the web. I even called my local Honda Dealership to discuss the parts and their locations with the service department for which I only got the standard answer...you need to bring it in and have it checked out for which I said bullsh*t. I told them they had their chance to make things right back when the car was under warranty for which they did nothing to correct the problem. They just said everything was fine. Also, the service guy today said that the 06 Honda Civic didn't even have an idel air control valve and he called it an idle air control motor which makes me trust them even less. I suppose I should have insisted on talking to an actual mechanic and not a service writer. In any case, I have found where the PCV valve is located but still do not know where the IACV is located. Since I can't see it when looking down at the engine I can only asume it is located beneath something else like the air filter housing, etc. Since I can;t find the information I am looking for on teh net as tot he IACV location on a 06 Honda Civic, I will have to try some other mechanics who might know where it is located. Sorry if I came down on you a little hard...I didn't mean to. I am just frustrated as there seems to be very little info I can find on the 06 Honda Civics on line.

Quick Reply: 2006CivicEXCoupe Rough Idle