New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

200k 96 civic

Old 06-16-2010, 03:27 AM
Default 200k 96 civic

Hello all.

I am 22 years old from Indianapolis, IN. My wife and I have a 2006 4 door Pontiac G6, 2.4L ecotec auto w/ 80,000 miles, and a 1996 Honda Civic Ex 2 door 5 speed. Obviously the main reason i joined up is because of the Honda. This was my wifes car before we got married and i started driving it recently. It rolled over 200k yesterday, that was exciting ha. Any way i hope to use this site as a guide for keeping the car running. Some things that i have recently done:

All new brakes
Changed Transmission Fluid with Honda MTF
And of course oil changes.

Some problems that maybe someone can help with.

It leaks oil. I am sure it burns some too, but the engine is covered in oil. Mainly the left front side. Do the valve covers usually leak? Maybe new gasket? Also some dumb@$$ striped the threads in the oil pan before she got it so we have to use one of those generic expanding things to plug the drain bolt. It works, although im sure not 100% leak proof.

Exhaust leak right under the shifter and cup holders, warms up area. oh and no muffler also, rusted off.

A/C not cold at idle, ok when moving. (assuming small compressor)

Timing belt? Do not know the history. Is there an easy way to check it out? I assume you would have to lift the valve cover and remove top TB cover. If i do this should i replace valve cover gasket?

Sorry for the long first post! Let me know if i should post these problems in there respected areas.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:31 AM

I bought a 1985 honda civic deluxe brand new had it for many years actually drove it 219,000 km,before one day the timing belt broke,young and naive at the time decided to pull start the car by popping the clutch,needless to say all the valves were shot among other things,a rebuilt later,that honda was never the same,.this doesn't help it was just a story of past thoughts I would share,congrats on joining this site,and hopefully you find great advise here without any sarcasm.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:21 PM

If your at 200k miles and do not know if its been changed then change it. The one thing I go with is every 30k it should be changed regardless of vehicle. As far as the oil take it to a high pressure washing area or borrow a pressure washer and gently spray the engine down with cleaning solvent. Check your hoses for any signs of dryrot. Getting a new oil pan and seal wouldnt be a bad idea and check your crank pulley seal(the one on the side of the oil pan) As far as your ac it could be a few things, a recharge with an evac and charge or the compresser binding.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by tstephens4
It leaks oil. I am sure it burns some too, but the engine is covered in oil. Mainly the left front side. Do the valve covers usually leak? Maybe new gasket?

Post pictures of highest points where you see fresh oil appearing. By left side, do you mean driver and passenger side?

Also some dumb@$$ striped the threads in the oil pan before she got it so we have to use one of those generic expanding things to plug the drain bolt. It works, although im sure not 100% leak proof.

Tap and die a new hole and buy a new bolt that fits. Otherwise, you could replace the oil pan.

Exhaust leak right under the shifter and cup holders, warms up area.

Is there an exhaust leak or has someone removed the exhaust heat shields?

A/C not cold at idle, ok when moving. (assuming small compressor)

Check whether the condenser fan runs when the A/C is on. If not, this may be the problem.

Timing belt? Do not know the history. Is there an easy way to check it out?

If you don't know when the belt was replaced, just replace it as soon as possible.
-----------------------------------------------------

Old 06-17-2010, 04:53 AM

By left side i mean if you have the hood open and are looking at engine. to the left of the exhaust manifold and up. Valve cover has no oil but everything below it does. So i am thinking i need to replace the gasket.

I have never taped and died a hole ( i can figure that out) but would i need to remove the pan to do this since metal shavings? Also on the EX do i have to remove the 2-1 down pipe to remove the oil pan? sure looks like it.

This problem just started happening. It seems to be right where the CAT is. Although no CEL or anything. Could be the joint right there too. Also, when you really bog down the engine the exhaust rattles like a tin can. Friend got under and looked and the exhaust was shaking like crazy. Motor mount? or normal.

Fan runs when A/C is on. Friend charged the low side to proper pressure. It does get cold. Just when you stop at a stop light the temp of the air coming out is warmer. Noticeable too.

And i plan on changing the timing belt. I think i have read every how to and DIY and watched every you tube vid.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:34 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by tstephens4
By left side i mean if you have the hood open and are looking at engine. to the left of the exhaust manifold and up. Valve cover has no oil but everything below it does. So i am thinking i need to replace the gasket.

Post pictures. Common sources for such leaks are from the VTEC solenoid, distributor O-ring, or valve cover gasket.

I have never taped and died a hole ( i can figure that out) but would i need to remove the pan to do this since metal shavings? Also on the EX do i have to remove the 2-1 down pipe to remove the oil pan? sure looks like it.

Yes and yes.

This problem just started happening. It seems to be right where the CAT is. Although no CEL or anything. Could be the joint right there too. Also, when you really bog down the engine the exhaust rattles like a tin can. Friend got under and looked and the exhaust was shaking like crazy. Motor mount? or normal.

Remove the exhaust pipe A and the cat to inspect for damage. You may need to replace the gaskets. Also check all of the exhaust hangers.

Fan runs when A/C is on. Friend charged the low side to proper pressure. It does get cold. Just when you stop at a stop light the temp of the air coming out is warmer. Noticeable too.

Check whether the condenser is clogged with bugs.

And i plan on changing the timing belt. I think i have read every how to and DIY and watched every you tube vid.

Have you seen this one:

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/7-...t-96-00-a.html
----------------------------------------------

Old 06-17-2010, 07:12 AM

Yes as a matter of fact i have seen that one. Thanks for all your help. My first priority is the Timing Belt. Where is the best place to buy? I found genuine honda stuff on Ebay for $150.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_3105wt_939