New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

48 years old and just bought my first honda

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Default 48 years old and just bought my first honda

Hello everyone.

Just made a career move back into a old career that I loved (Park Ranger. It's been a very strange and long route back. If you ever want to know that story, email me). Since my commute was going to change from 32 miles round trip (and mostly freeway) to 81 miles round trip (Mountain driving), I decided I needed a car that got great gas mileage.

I currently drive a 01 Chevy Ext cab Silverado that gets about 18-20 mpg (okay for current shorter commute) and the wife drives a 99 Ford Countour that gets around 24mpg. I decided that neither got the MPG that I needed for this new communte. ALso, neither of us were going to trade in our vehicle for the new one (My wife hates driving my truck, and the feeling is mutual between the truck and her).

So back to the saga of how I picked the Honda Civic. I have a friend that has gone thru 3 civics (SHe normally gets rid of them near the 200K mark), my parents have had several Accords that they have loved. Ford Focus looked cheap. I got in the Toyota Corolla and Cambry and they didn't have the head room that the Civic afford (I'm 6'2.5"). The Prius was nice , but sadly I couldn't justify the added $$ (The new career is also about a $8K a year cut to start).

I had first looked at the Civic and Fit (And I was amazed by the room of the Fit), but kept coming back to the Civic. Finally brought the wife along and she agrred that the Civic was the car.

Then came the price. I really didn't want a price war, but that was what I ended up with and ended up buying near my old work at a good price.

Whatelse? Well, I've been a fan of Nufinish for years. Sure, the shine from Meguirs is the best, but I can't wash and wax my vehicles all the time like when I was foot loose and fancy free. Family commitments tie me down (My son volunteer on the weekends with "poway-midland railroad- http://www.powaymidlandrr.org/default.htm) . I've always been impressed with the shine from Nufinish and that is what the Civic got today.

I'm a mobil-1 fan. Been using it for many years. Normally will change between 5 and 7.5K when I am using it. I'm also a fan of the additive "Tufoil" Been using that for years and years too. I had a 98 Dodge Ram that suffered from extreme knocking and pinging (It literally sounded like 2 sledge hammers hitting each other). I stuck it in at about the 35K mark and the noise went away, but shortly there after, Dodge was forced to buy the truck back (Thanks GOD for the Lemon Law!!!).

So I'm looking for a long life with my new 08 Civic sedan LX. Like to learn about modifications that can be done to increase MPG too.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:14 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: 48 years old and just bought my first honda

I too downsize from a chevy truck to a Civic.

There is not much to do to improve the mpg unless you remove the back seat and everything else that you do not need to lower the weight. Forget the gas saver devices that is being sold on eBay. Just drive easy and you will save mpg.

welcome.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:17 PM

Welcome to HCF.
I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice for years to come.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:01 PM

Welcome to the forums, Enjoy!

Old 12-28-2007, 11:43 PM
HCF Member

intake and exhaust will increase your mpg slightly (2-3 mpg)