New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

97 ex d16y8, whats up im the new guy

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 04:52 PM
Default 97 ex d16y8, whats up im the new guy

hey guys im new to this forum, just a couple things about my car.
I have a 97 d16y8 ex coupe
so far i have
tints
system(came with car)
I put a new front mesh grill in, the one on it was busted to **** somehow
got sick of the stock rims so i sanded and rustoleumed them black(will have 17 inch enkei eventually)
sadly an automatic
and i put a K&N cold air in
custom exhaust goes on friday.

I am wondering what would be the best N/A performance upgrades for my civic and alsoi am still debatingturboing it but should i 5 speed it first? or doesnt it make a diff? (sorry for the ignorance guys im new to this stuff)
Thanks for the help.

Old 12-20-2006, 10:24 PM
Default RE: 97 ex d16y8, whats up im the new guy

Nice Car. Im new too. So i guess i'll tell you about my civic. I have an 02 Civic LX coupe. I dont know what kind of rims are on it cause they came with the car. Things I've installed: Duel halo projuctor head lights, chrome halo tail lights, Bomz racing cold air intake(im gunna switch to an Injen intake), and i just took all the black wire covering out of the engine bay and replaced them with blue. Things To Come: Cat-back exhaust, Tint, Coil over kit, OEM ION Foglights W/ pure blue bulbs(in the mail), and last but not least an alarm. So tell me what you think.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:16 AM

hello to yall both. welcome to the fam. please n-joy your stay.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:45 AM

That sounds sweet. I still need to decide n headlights because mine leak and get foggy, making the front appearance of my car look horrible. How do you like those halo projectors?

Old 12-21-2006, 07:54 PM

The projectors are sweet!!! It gives my Civic a mean looking front end. But the halos are not as bright as the BMW's. Oh well, still really clean looking. If your straped for cash, you can pick up a set off EBAY for next to nothing. I think i payed $120 for mine, including shipping. Let me know if you get some, and how they look.

Old 12-21-2006, 08:21 PM

i got a 97 ex too! but mines a stick!*rubs it in your face*
[sm=tongue.gif]

Old 12-21-2006, 08:47 PM

how much would it cost him to change it to a 5 speed? I've owned one auto in my life and wont ever again!!!

Old 12-23-2006, 08:37 AM

I have been wondering the same thing. How much would it cost to change out an automatic for a manual. I figure a re-built automatic should run around $1500 give or take a few hundred. I would think a manual swap should be way cheaper than that.

I personally wouldn't trust the civic automatic with boost on it, however it really depends on the condition the transmission is in and how crazy you're going to get with the boost. My guess would be you'd probably run around 8psi right? I have no idea what the trans can handle but I'd say any more than say 170hp or so, about where you'd be running at8psi,and you're really asking for trouble from it, especially if it hasn't been maintained. Again, I'm not a honda transmission person, so I don't really know, just speculation.

I know for sure if i tried to boost mine I'd be walking in short order... My auto is not in the best of shape, a couple of redline neutral drops in an auto with 210k on it is not the best combo; did a great burnout though.I'm trying to hold out a while... It's is still very much driveable, and as long as I don't abuse it I feel ok about it, but boost is out of the question for me.

As for N/A Horsepower gains, there's a lot you can do. You've alread got a decent start with the K&N.They make aftermarket intake manifolds, and throttlebodies, and spacers... You can also, and I would do this first, get a header, that will be a good start, get a high flow cat. converter too, the stock one is really restrictive. You can also look to your ignition system for some power gains, replace the stock cap with an MSD one and get an external coil, some bigger wires and better plugs, which you should do before you boost it anyways.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

-Mike-

Old 12-23-2006, 10:27 AM
HCF Member

welcome to the clan! I gots a 97 sedan, Its an EX, but for some reason its got a D16Y7 (sohc, no v-tec). Anyway for now its stock apart from a SRI, but I'm hoping to do some upgrades this summer (I/H/E) or suspension. Enjoy your stay

Old 12-24-2006, 12:04 PM

thanks alot for the help guys, merry christmas.