New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

97 Honda Civic (noob)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 03:33 PM
HCF Member
Default 97 Honda Civic (noob)

Clearly I'm new to this forum...

I've got my 97 EX . She's had it rough since I bought it last summer. I'd owned the car less than 1000 miles and this girl that lives with me decided to get up on top of it and **** on my roof. She smashed in the roof and made the sunroof leak like a sieve. It sat in my shop back at my parent's farm for four months while I saved money to fix it and was on foot. Finally got it fixed over winter break and had to work fifteen hours a day every day of break to pay for it and the muffler work that needed done. Got the roof fixed and took it to a shop to get the header replaced because of a crack in the original that was loud as hell when the engine was cold. I didn't want to foul the exhaust valves and had no idea how long it had been like that. They really hosed it up. They forgot to put in bolts entirely and didn't snug up the nuts on the ones they did remember to put in. They left some extra TIG wire on a patch they did without pulling the downpipe and it shreadded the axle boot. That slung axle grease all over my engine and ultimately destroyed the axle. I had to have that replaced as well as the downpipe, header (which they had replaced with a DX part, not a major difference but enough to **** me off). Got some reparations from the shop owner, but certainly not enough to pay for it all.

So, on to the happy part. My car is slow as can be (stock), but I've fianlly got it back and running. I'm poor. What can I do to add some zip that's most cost effective? I've already replaced the skanky plug wires, put in a new air filter, and run some fuel system cleaner through it (it always helped when my old 92 Accord had to sit for a while; no Honda likes to sit).

Also, I'm getting some flicking dimming action on my headlights and idle speed occasionally. I replaced the battery and checked the alternator (which was good). Where else should I be looking?

[IMG]local://upfiles/19128/99F49CD2485A451493BF4A2EC9437D4E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-06-2007, 04:48 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: 97 Honda Civic (noob)

am I wasting my time and effort here? This looks like a pretty decent forum...

Old 03-06-2007, 08:27 PM
HCF Member

I'm twenty, from Mount Vernon, Ohio. I go to Ohio Wesleyan University. I'm pretty much talking to myself...

Old 03-06-2007, 08:59 PM
HCF Member

No you’re not talking to yourself, but it’s a weekday, so most people are working and stuff...
I too have a 97ex... so here’s what I have to offer for information...
First, get a new roommate, one that wont climb on your car, much less relieve herself on it (though I woulda liked to have see that)
Second, what the hell were they tig welding? The old cast-iron exhaust manifold? Sounds like they need an operation to remove their head from their rectum...
Third, and in combination with going a little faster, you coulda, and might still think about getting a real header.. I’m running the chakara header from heddman I think.. It’s a 4-2-1 design that will really help in the bottom to mid torque range... ads a few ponies on the top end as well...
Then I would think about a cold air intake (CAI) this will work very well with the header so that the engine can breathe...I'm using an AEM unit, that puts the air filter in front of the plastic inner fender liner on the passenger side... not only did this also help the performance of the car, it actually improved the fuel mileage a tiny bit (when I can keep my big foot outta the throttle that is)plus it adds a really nice sound to the cars engine.... if you didn’t know better, the untrained ear just might think that you have and aftermarket exhaust on there...
After that I would consider a free flowing cat, and a cat back system... these too will allow the car to breathe better and make some more ponies...

This is the order that I did it in, for a couple reasons... my exhaust manifold cracked, just as yours did, and when it was cold, really made a bad and irritating noise, I did the cai after that after I saved up the $$ and just wanted the car to go faster....
I haven’t gotten to the free flow cat yet, but that’s about next on the list...

If you really wanna up the ponies on your car, and can scratch together the dough, start looking around for a turbo kit.. That’ll really get you going faster....

As for the headlight dimming issue, it sounds like your headed in the right direction... if your sure that the battery, cables and alt are good, clean and working well, then the next thing that I would question is what other things do you have in this car that are drawing power? Is the idle speed where it should be? Could it be that there might be some loose connections in the charging system that you might have overlooked, and or that might have worked loose since you last checked them?...

There, that’s something to start... oh, I did have one other question, you may have posted this already, but I may have missed it, is this an automatic, or a 5spd? Just curious...

Old 03-06-2007, 09:05 PM
HCF Member

to bad ur nota chick, u would get replies like that......

Old 03-06-2007, 09:39 PM
HCF Member

project5k, thanks for the help on the order and where to start, I've been kinda wondering what should come first. They were tig welding someplace way down the downpipe, near the bolt flange for the next pipe, which is coincidentally right below the transaxle and axle boot. Since that header that's on it is not the slightly, but not by much, better of the two parts they could have put on it, I may sell it on ebay and replace it with the better 4-2-1 model you suggested. Is it easy to do by myself, and should I be wary of anything in particular while doing it? Also, I get a spike in the sound and vibration coming from the engine at about 3500rpm, which returns to normal (expected noise) once past about 3800-4000. Any ideas?

It is a 5-speed. I get really bored driving an automatic, and it means that my girlfriend (who is not the same person that destroyed my car and lives in my house and will soon die a horrible painful traumatic death) cannot drive it (call me selfish if you like). For stock, it's ok off the line but really shines in second and third gears. Great midrange for an economy car. I smoked the hell out of a mid nineties Eclipse the other day, but that should not have been possible unless the other driver was a real turd of a driver (which must have been the case)

And mugen1, I look great in drag, but the hairy legs always tend to give me away. Then again, I'm not sure I really wanna go there again!

Old 03-06-2007, 11:06 PM
HCF Member

My car is gonna look pretty normal on the outside, or at least as normal as possible besides some window tint and a better paint job/fixed dents. I've had a lot of unwanted attention from the cops in the past and I'm not really all that interested in catching any more flak from them. Therefore, I'm planning on my car just being fast as hell and looking bone stock. Think sleeper. That also means getting as quiet an exhaust as possible. Any suggestions there?

I also put in a mini CB that is totally hidden under the dash antenna and all (not exterior). Not that great a range, but you can ask truckers what's going on with traffic, cops, and what the real speed limit is. Comes in really handy, especially on long trips.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:09 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: that guy

And mugen1, I look great in drag, but the hairy legs always tend to give me away. Then again, I'm not sure I really wanna go there again!

With a sense of humor like that, you're going to fit in great here.

That really sucks with all the problems you've had. Everything's gotta get a little worse before it can get a lot better.

I just bought my 99 EX a few months ago and to start out with my mods I did an AEM short ram intake, custom header, and a megan racing cat-back, my setup sounds amazing. After that I got my 16 inch rims on with a good set of rubber. What always comes after a nice set of rims? Suspension. I got KYB GR2 struts and Neuspeed street springs that dropped my car about 1.5 inches. The whole setup was about 400 bucks and I'd have to say it's my favorite mod so far. Not only does that car look a ton better, but the handling is great. Next for my suspension is a good set of Suspension Techniques sway bars...

I also have a few little things like upper strut bars, shift ****, and a type R grill to clean up the front end.

These are all great mods to do yourself, and with a good knowledge of how to turn a wrench or a screwdriver, you can do all these mods to your car by yourself. (Manual or DIY suggested)

Where am I going next with my car? Sky is the limit... it's a Honda. I got an Edelbrock intake mani for a great price off Marty, one of our forum members and I have a lipkit and fogs on the way to my front door.

That's just a few ideas for what you can do to your car. We're all glad to see new members starting fresh, and it looks like you have a good car to work with. EX FTW!

Old 03-07-2007, 06:03 AM

Welcome Aboard, If you shave the legs you would be golden...lol

Old 03-07-2007, 07:53 AM
HCF Member

yea im having a problem with the hole in drag thing, not cause of the harry legs, but just the thought of the butt-floss undies, i just cant go there... dont get me wrong, looks good on the right girl, but gotta be uncomfortable as hell....

Quick Reply: 97 Honda Civic (noob)