New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Anutha one!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 07:36 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Anutha one!!!!

I think that most cars come stock with a throttle body coolant bypass to help cold starting. The the bypass would be factory and it does not help horsepower, it helps during cold weather starting. It heats the air that enters the engine, negating a CAI.

Old 12-02-2005, 07:45 PM

welcome

[IMG]local://upfiles/5236/B4C5F45AF738423C9545CDF677328E95.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-02-2005, 07:45 PM

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

I think that most cars come stock with a throttle body coolant bypass to help cold starting. The the bypass would be factory and it does not help horsepower, it helps during cold weather starting. It heats the air that enters the engine, negating a CAI.
your first sentence is correct. my tb isn't the original tb from my car but, it is oem and, it doesn't allow for coolant through it.

your second sentence.. it's not bypassed.. there is no port on my tb for coolant. the coolant line that would run through my tb is one of the lines for my oem oil cooler. it does not help cold weather starting.. it is for cold weather idle. how would cold coolant help a cold engine start? it helps it idle in cold weather.

your third sentence.. it slightly heats slow moving air that enteres the engine at idle. it does not negate the effects of a cai at higher intake velocites. the air is moving too fast.. that heat will warm the intake air at higher rpms but only ever so slightly. you would be hardpressed to to show a difference in power with or without a tb coolant bypass, only a difference in idle quality.

Old 12-02-2005, 07:48 PM
HCF Member

I will probably just stick to looking good. I don't plan on racing anybody so most of the performance upgrades I wont need. I am too old for racing anyways!!![sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 12-02-2005, 07:51 PM

ORIGINAL: nemo

I will probably just stick to looking good. I don't plan on racing anybody so most of the performance upgrades I wont need. I am too old for racing anyways!!![sm=smiley20.gif]
werd, that car will make you more happy stock. it'll last longer and cops won't **** with you for loudness. i'm down with your plan to make it look good.

Old 12-02-2005, 08:38 PM
HCF Member
Old 12-02-2005, 08:51 PM

why would you say they are morons? the factory runs coolant through the tb for a reason. they know the effects and have studied, researched, and tested them more extensively than anyone has. and, yet still use it. it has it's purposes. you can bypass it and get better response and perhaps the added power of a fart... i chose not to run coolant thru but, it is not for starting. it is for warmup. i didn't know it was to prevent freeze-up but that sure makes sense.

anyway.. no, i don't run coolant thru my tb. why?

Old 12-02-2005, 08:53 PM
HCF Member

If it is true that the coolant that flows through the throttle body does not negate the affect of a CAI and that it really doesn't hurt performance but does hurt idle quality, then these guys must be morons for taking thier bypasses out. I was bieng sarcastic, b/c u said that the bypass pretty much didn't hurt performance at all.

Old 12-02-2005, 08:59 PM
HCF Member

Did I mention that I was just doing the exterior and interior???[sm=smiley1.gif]

Old 12-02-2005, 09:06 PM

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

If it is true that the coolant that flows through the throttle body does not negate the affect of a CAI and that it really doesn't hurt performance but does hurt idle quality, then these guys must be morons for taking thier bypasses out. I was bieng sarcastic, b/c u said that the bypass pretty much didn't hurt performance at all.
it may hinder the effects of a cai but ever so slightly. on my engine i would be upturned if i could notice it, but i bypassed it none-the-less. i didn't say it hurt idle quality.. onlt affected it. i would suspect it will help idle quality in cold weather and hurt it in warm.. much the same as it would for response. i only drive that car in the summer so it makes sense for me.

those guys did not take out thier bypasses, they bypasssed the coolant thru their tb.

you are confusing. earlier you said "I think that most cars come stock with a throttle body coolant bypass to help cold starting. The the bypass would be factory and..." but, in reality, most cars come stock with coolant running through the tb. you can bypass this but you are making a trade, not simply gaining all around. the factory spends money to run coolant through the tb for a reason. and here you said "then these guys must be morons for taking thier bypasses out." but, they have not taken out a bypass, they've added one.

again, i don't run coolant thru my tb. why do you ask?

Quick Reply: Anutha one!!!!