New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

For the boy

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 03:11 PM
HCF Member
Default For the boy

Hey guys,
Well i found my way here after talking with some locals and searching around for answers to my questions. I'm in the middle of looking for a 92-95 civic to fix up for my son when he turns 16 and starts to drive. He's always been into the tuner cars altho we live in Montana.. I'm new to this but want to be able to hand him the keys to a car he can be proud of but I really have no clue since I'm a Chevy truck guy.. So here I go, a father to son project that I will have endless questions about and tired searches to come..
Post #1 done now to find a good starter car..

Old 11-08-2012, 05:57 AM

If possible, I would try to hold out for a EX, or an SI (hatchback). Has he expressed which body style he likes best? Does he have a desire to learn manual?

Are you planning on modding the car for him, then handing him the keys, or give him a stock car that you both can work on together?

EDIT - My first car was an 89 Accord which my dad helped me work on and taught me how to drive manual in. I then picked up a 93 Civic EX coupe that he helped me work on (little things like speakers/head unit/etc) before he passed. This was all before I obtained my license, too.

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 11-08-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:56 AM
HCF Member

A stick is a must but I'm not sure what the difference is with the civic and the EX or SI that you mentioned.. The plan is to find a Civic in the price range of 3000-4000 and work on it together when we can or I will be while he's being a kid running around. This is something I would like to learn together but also understand he has alot of things going with school, sports and friends.. But in 1.5 years he will be ready to drive so I would like to have this done to hand the keys to him as a gift.. He knows I'm looking to build one but has no idea that it will end up his.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by TAT76
A stick is a must but I'm not sure what the difference is with the civic and the EX or SI that you mentioned.. The plan is to find a Civic in the price range of 3000-4000 and work on it together when we can or I will be while he's being a kid running around. This is something I would like to learn together but also understand he has alot of things going with school, sports and friends.. But in 1.5 years he will be ready to drive so I would like to have this done to hand the keys to him as a gift.. He knows I'm looking to build one but has no idea that it will end up his.
You seem like a great father. Wish my dad did this with me. Just to explain the trims, Si is the best trim of civics. It only comes in stick and has the most whp than the other civics. EX comes in Auto and stick and has the same features as a SI but the difference is the engine. For example, a 99 Civic EX has 127 HP with Vtec. An Si has 160 HP with Vtec. Anything lower than EX has no Vtec. Lowest trim is DX, then LX, then EX, then SI. I would recommend EX or SI. I found my 99 Civic EX coupe with 126k miles for $2500 off of craigslist. Mechanically fine and abit dents here and there. With 3000-4000, you can get a 2000 Si, but it will have around 180k miles, or an EX with that money would probably have around 100k miles. Good luck with your build.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:16 AM
HCF Member

Hey thanks Mark for the info on trims. I've been watching the local lots adds and craigslist everyday but havent found anything yet. Seems my best bet is to head over to Washington but am finding that most over there are either hopped up already or dont run. Reaaly want to find a stock Si so I'm not taking on some one elses issues that I don't know about and being new would be easier to learn from..

Old 11-10-2012, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by TAT76
Hey thanks Mark for the info on trims. I've been watching the local lots adds and craigslist everyday but havent found anything yet. Seems my best bet is to head over to Washington but am finding that most over there are either hopped up already or dont run. Reaaly want to find a stock Si so I'm not taking on some one elses issues that I don't know about and being new would be easier to learn from..
No problem. When I was in Seattle, I hardly saw any tuners, most were muscle cars. I know it's going to be a challenge to find an Si. Especially Stock. But good luck on your search.