New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

To buy a Civic or not to buy a Civic

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 12:13 AM
Default RE: To buy a Civic or not to buy a Civic

an SI is way overrated. if u want to get a civic to experiment on get the Civic EX.

-B

Old 01-15-2005, 05:44 AM

Im a fan of both VW and honda. I own a turbo jetta, and a honda civic. Id have to say both are really fun to drive. however germans dont know jack about building cars that last. and getting parts for VWs is alot harder, especially if you have to get em shipped from germany.

Old 01-15-2005, 03:32 PM

however germans dont know jack about building cars that last.
FINALLY someone sees the light...

Old 01-15-2005, 08:53 PM

Okay,I was definitely thinking of the EX.However,now I am not sure it is any different than the the LX or DX.I mean we canot be talkin' prestige when we're talking abou a Honda Civic period!Right? Also 127hp is 127hp wheather the trim is a little nicer or not.Well...the EX coupe boasts a nicer sound system.I'd have to compare the 4 VS 6 speakers anyway. I typically drive a very short distance back and forh to work.It is not worth having a 5 speed manual for my needs.

Old 01-16-2005, 02:44 AM

ex is a good choice man. diff. is that ex has the sohc vtec engine or preferably called the D16y8 engine instead of the D16Y7 engine which is just the regular sohc engine in all LX and DX models. so the ex pretty much has "extra" added to it. the reason why i say get a 5 spd is because no matter what distance u drive auto sucks period. unless u have a 350Z or some really sweet ride then get a 5 spd. Even if u drive a few miles back and forth to and from work u still want the 5 spd because it allows u to take advantage of the higher RPMs and won't leave u a sitting duck when u start from a halt position. many ppl that have Civics prefer 5 spd because they say auto gives u a lack of "performance" for the Civic.

-Byron

Old 01-16-2005, 04:54 PM
HCF Member

yeah, the ex has 127 hp, and the lower models have about 106, so there is a bit of a difference, but the ex does weigh more, so the difference isnt too much. though the ex is a better daily-driver/commuter since it comes with all the power option and everything.

Old 01-16-2005, 04:56 PM

Thanks Byron,

I probably should have admited that I don't drive a stick!LOL! It doubt it would cost me too much efort to learn though.

BTW...what do you Civic guys have against the Accords?A new Civic these days costs as much if not more than some 240 hp beefy V -6 Accords.Is it all about low gas milage?

E

Old 01-16-2005, 05:06 PM

Thanks,

Any idea what the 2006 Civics will be like? I saw photos somewhere..they look like sporty hatchbacks.I would guess they might have some more juice under the hood??

Old 01-16-2005, 05:12 PM

haha. 2006... haven't even considered looking at that yet but yea man.... 5spd isn't too hard to learn. took me about a good week or so before i got the feel for it. once u learn it, u will never forget it. It's like riding a bike man. Just gotta make sure u time the clutch and gas perfect. Have fun.

-B

Old 01-16-2005, 05:21 PM

yeah... I mention 2006 because for the life of me,I don't get why Civic,with all its "lead compact carness" doesn't throw in a few more horses...even like 147hp or something.I think that is perhaps the one major drawback or Civic-POWER!

Quick Reply: To buy a Civic or not to buy a Civic