New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

can't find the battery draw (short)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 07:39 PM
Default can't find the battery draw (short)

i got a big prob here. for some reason my battery dies overnight. i have done nothing to the car ( a 91 civic hatch) to have this prob. so i tryed looking for the prob but could not find the short or the (draw) so last night i removed all the fueses from the car then i tryed to start it and still dead battery. has anyone run into this prob? if so please help. thanks

Old 03-01-2006, 08:17 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: can't find the battery draw (short)

I'm assuming that since you said it dies overnight, that at one point you had it running. Mine did something like that when I changed out the grounding wire. I'd say try cleaning your battery posts and connections and try again. Or try starting it with a different battery...It could just be an old battery.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:54 AM
HCF Member

how's your alternator?

Old 03-02-2006, 10:58 AM
HCF Member

^ it would die because of that.

Im curious... have you installed a stereo lately?

Old 03-02-2006, 03:51 PM
HCF Member

I have a feeling you're due for a battery change. Over time they just lose their charge. Does your battery charger do a diagnostic on the battery?

Old 03-02-2006, 05:43 PM

the battery i had on it was checked and it turned out ok (passed) also the alternator checked out ok its kicking out 13.6 to 14.1 but i still changed it out the battery with a diehard gold from sears. also i have not installed anything in the car that connect to any power source. the ground wire is bare in alot of places but the battery posts are supper clean.

Old 03-02-2006, 06:51 PM
HCF Member

check to make sure the dome light or trunk lights are not left in the "on" position.

Old 03-02-2006, 07:02 PM
HCF Member

Parasitic Draw is your most likely problem i think. You got a text book case there. Turn everything in your car off and remove the radio and ECU fuses. Remove the battery cable and hook a multimeter to it in series. Set the multimeter to Amps (make sure the fuse isn't blown in the meter). A small current should be shown. Start pulling fuses until the small current is no longer read on the mulitmeter. This fuse is the circuit with the parasitic draw.

Old 03-03-2006, 05:01 PM

thanks, AgentofDarkness and the rest of you all for the info but i have tried it all i even pulled all the fuses in the car and even the ones around the motor. and sorry to say i still have a draw i am now going to trace all the battery leads one by one this weekend i just hope i can find it. peace

Old 03-06-2006, 08:59 AM

well just let you guys know i spent 17 hours going over every wire in the whole car and never found anything but the prob is solved. i don't know what i did but i guess i moved something and now its all good. i just hope it never comes back. thanks again for all your help guys.