New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

car problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 08:47 PM
Default car problems

Ok so i bought this 95 civic when it didnt run. I took apart the engine, had the head machined and replaced many parts, the car then ran perfectly for a few weeks entil the radiator started leaking. I replaced that and about a week later the car stopped starting randomly one day, first i put in more gas to see if the tank was empty and after a few trys the car started up, i then drove to the gas station n after filling up the car once again wouldent start. Once i got it towed home i have replaced the distributor cap, the coil, and the wires were just recently replaced. I have already checked to make sure fuel was getting into the rail, and the plugs are all perfect, but when i use a timing gun on it i am getting some spark but not a whole lot. I am completely lost and some help would be awesome.

Old 02-18-2006, 10:27 AM
Default RE: car problems

did you replace the whole distributor or just the cap? I would try replacing the whole distributor.Check some other smaller priced things first, like the gap on the plugs, make sure they are the right plugs, is your battery good? Have you checked the starter? Its like a checklist of stuff you have to do one by one until you figure it out.

Old 02-21-2006, 01:37 AM

Since you think it might be something wrong with the distributor, condensation might be the problem. Check if theres like a white calcium/rust deposit on it. Since you bought it in the non-running condition, I bet the cars gone through a lot. Along the fact that your gas IS infact going through the engine, the problem should be on the electrical side. Check all the cables and battery. Does the engine crank??? Just wondering?

Old 02-22-2006, 06:34 PM

yea it cranks...but thats all

Old 02-22-2006, 09:08 PM
HCF Member

When it cranks, spray some carb cleaner through the throttle body. If you have a problem with the fuel, then the car will start for a bit. If the car still doesn't start, then it might be a spark problem. Are you sure that there is compression?