New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Complete and Utter Newbie with Car Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 12:41 AM
Default Complete and Utter Newbie with Car Problems

Hi Everyone! I hope everyone will be able to bear with me because this is my first attempt at being involved with cars.

My first and only car is a family hand-me-down automatic '94 Civic DX with way over 100,000 miles on it. Currently, it's having problems drifting toward the right, which I first thought was the tire pressure, but it also had problems accellerating.

As you can see, I pretty much don't know a damn thing about my car or cars in general except to fill the gas tank when it's empty and wash the car when it's dirty. Joining this forum was fueled as a need to learn more about my car and cars in general. I want to be able to fix my car when something happens, or at least know what to do. After all, I know its easy for a girl like me to be ripped off for not knowing anything that goes on with my vechile.

SO! I hope everyone can bear with me with my newbie questions and I look forward to some learning experiences!

Old 05-02-2006, 03:52 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Complete and Utter Newbie with Car Problems

[sm=welcomesign.gif] to the forum. There're not many girls here (or they're hiding somewhere). Enjoy and keep posting.

Old 05-02-2006, 04:02 AM

Blown shock/strut?

Old 05-02-2006, 08:24 AM

possible sticking brake caliper?

Old 05-02-2006, 08:32 AM
HCF Member

Maybe a bad axle? Do you get a clicking or popping sound when you turn right?

Old 05-02-2006, 03:01 PM
HCF Member

Welcome to the forum. You said you have problems while accelerating, what kind of problems? Also, after you've checked your tire pressure, have a shop do an alignment check. A poor alignment can result in drifting. If that's not the problem, they may be able to tell you what it is. Best of luck to ya!

Old 05-02-2006, 03:11 PM

One girl that was riding with me when I was having problems said it might be the axle because the ride was really, really bumpy. I'm having problems going past 60mph. If I'm driving past that, it would jolt and start decelerating until it falls behind 60mph. No clicking or poping, just really bumpy and drifting to the right.

By the way, since I can't get a hold of a Honda service manual at the moment. What is the tire pressure supposed to be for 94 stock civic tires?

Thank you so much for all your welcome responses, by the way!

---EDIT---

Also, I don't know what a brake caliper or a shock/strut is? ^_^;

Old 05-02-2006, 04:17 PM
HCF Member

Have the alignment checked, it will usually be done for free at a tire/alignment shop. Make sure its an alignment check, not an alignment. WHen they give you the printout for the alginment check post the results on here. The person at the soter will prolly try and sell you an alignment regardless of if you actually need it or not.

Old 05-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Stinky Administrator

hello and welcome it could be a tire out of balance good luck

Old 05-02-2006, 09:18 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 94DXProject
Maybe a bad axle? Do you get a clicking or popping sound when you turn right?
a bad axle wouldn't do that would it?

angell by problems drifting do you mean that it drifts, or it is hard to steer to the right?

Quick Reply: Complete and Utter Newbie with Car Problems