New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

considering purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 09:50 AM
Default considering purchase

howdy, I am considering purchasing a civic or accord. what do some folks from pa know about some basic things, ie comparitive to an eclipse how will I look in terms of milage, insurance, how it goes in snow and power. whats one with this vtec thing i hear about and how it works. and what would be a market value on one and how susceptable are they to rust?. i know its a lot of questions at once but if you could help.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:42 PM
HCF Member

I would say get a Civic if you want real good MPG but not worried about power, BUT if you want alittle more power & space get an Accord. I don't know about an Eclipse but since it seems to look like it's built to be a racer..then it won't get good MPG.

As for Mileage..do you mean getting high mileage over a course of years? because Civic & Accord are some of the best cars to buy & maintain if you plan on keeping it for a long time...Their parts are easy to install compared to other car companies..pretty simple if you know a bolt goes in a hole :P

Old 11-30-2010, 04:51 AM

one word, chrystler
dsms of my year and trim, are full blooded chrystlers. Thats why my milage sucks *****. But since people like to steal hondas, any savings in gas are negated by insurance, so i guess im keepin my eclipse. 132 for a 96civicDX.
126 for my 98 eclipse

Old 11-30-2010, 07:58 AM
HCF Member

Wow thats wierd, i always thought that insurance was cheaper for civics. guess i was wrong

Old 11-30-2010, 03:25 PM
HCF Member
Originally Posted by DaOne
Wow thats wierd, i always thought that insurance was cheaper for civics. guess i was wrong
Wtf?

My Insurance for my 92 Civic is $53 through Geico..if I included everything it's about $87.
Insurance for my 2002 Chrysler Town & Country is $107 with almost everything through Esurance.

I never got in an accident..that's why mines are so low.
Get into an accident...that price will jump higher than Jordan!

Old 11-30-2010, 09:55 PM
HCF Member

^uh?
Thats what i ment, I thought civics were cheaper to inssure than most other cars,
But i wouldnt know.. all i've ever had to insure is my civic and del sol. lol

Old 12-01-2010, 05:06 AM

wanna know the funny part. its cheaper for the six than the four cylinder. hhahahaha.
i think its cuz honda was on the top stolen list for a while

Old 12-02-2010, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by hayamoto
132 for a 96civicDX.
Funny you should write 96civicDX like that. Kinda reminds me of someone who kept getting banned from here for certain reasons, and who is now into DSMs apparently.

Anyone take a guess as to who I am referring to?

If you are not who I think you are, welcome to the forum. And for the love of God, it is Chrysler, there is no "t" in it. If you own/owned one, you should know.

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 12-02-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:47 PM

the debate between an eclipse and honda shouldnt be based upon insurance especially if its 10 bucks different. Mitsubishi is kind of garbage if its not an evo(not to sound ignorant or anything but honestly i dont know if its much of an argument about reliability) hondas are notoriously known for their ability to drive forever..

find an eclipse with 200K comfortably driving after regular maintainence for 25 years, hondas pop up everywhere with that statistic.not saying buy a 92 accord wit 175K but IF you had to you could buy it for under a grand and it would driveee. i used that example because a friend of mine has an accord that should of died a long time ago..its stick,bone stock and gets abused.

you could be wheeling a swapped,built *** civic and daily drive it to work and get decent gas mileage(depending how you drive of course)..my direction with that comment was that you can legit turn your honda into a mean little tuner that you have a blast in, and it will still drive every single day in ALL weather..but if yu have to commute and keep the gas mileage down while doing it you can drive accordingly..i bumper to bumper my ef and the gas doesnt move..and at night after a long day of work i take it out and run it and drink half my tank...

and im not positive on wats allowed to be called dsm,.,,but im pretty sure not any ol eclipse is dsm,,im almost positive bout that..dsm"s i know are eagle...and WHEN THEY ARE UP they are the meanest wips around,.then they go down and then back up aha im not even talkin ish on dsm im just saying you need to knowww your stuff to keep one up..

Last edited by NJbruno90EF; 12-06-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:56 PM

and eclipses are girls cars alot of the time so i hope its dirty aha.. i no dudes who have em but they get their ***** busted, its all preference but im just saying how it is in jersey

i would scoop a lil coupe or hatch or something up..a lil honda bul..because even if no matter what you get, it could be a lil single cam...itll still be fun as hell to wheel,..and you could allways boost it and if turbo aint for you there are a whole lot of options on what you can do to any honda, so iuno thats jus me

Last edited by NJbruno90EF; 12-06-2010 at 08:58 PM.