New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

driving help

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 01:26 PM
Default driving help

how do u successfully perform a heel to toe downshift manuever????

Old 02-16-2005, 02:19 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: driving help

a what? You mean downshifting smoothly? if thats the case I cant really explain, you gotta practice.

Old 02-16-2005, 04:21 PM
HCF Member

practice...

forum audio guru huh?? i beg to differ

Old 02-16-2005, 04:34 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: DCAcivic

practice...

forum audio guru huh?? i beg to differ

whinner......[sm=joke.gif]

Old 02-16-2005, 04:50 PM
HCF Member

lol yaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy.. no ur older so ill give it to you

Old 02-16-2005, 07:02 PM
HCF Member

a heel and toe is when you are coming in fast to a corner, and you push in the clutch, then use your right foots toes to press the brakes, while holding the clutch pedal down with your left foot, then twisting your foot over to use your heel to hit the gas as you hit the apex of the corner, and you anticipate releasing the clutch, then push the accelerator pedal to match the revs so that you get a smooth down shift while braking. its hard as hell to master, and my legs are too long to do it in a civic. i cant twist my foot that way because my leg hits the steering wheel. but i dont suggest practicing it in any traffic whatsoever. i almost caused a couple of accidents while trying it. thats when i decided to practice out of town. i am better off doing it with each edge of my foot, instead of the heel and toe, but that required manipulation of the relative positions of the accelerator and the brake pedal, IOW, i bent the gas pedal closer to the brake. it actually worked better when i had my pedal covers on, but they were getting old, and one kept slipping around, so i took them off. now i gotta bend the pedal more, but i have to do it just right or it gets stuck.

Old 02-16-2005, 07:38 PM
HCF Member

i got big feet, kinda helps and kinda doesnt when it comes to that..anywho..youd only really need this when autocrossing

Old 02-16-2005, 08:01 PM
HCF Member

not so much for auto-x, more for circuits. auto-x is too quick for stuff like that.

Old 02-16-2005, 08:08 PM
HCF Member

true true..

the idea i was getting at lol

Old 02-16-2005, 08:38 PM

Yeah I almost never take it out of gear when I'm autocrossing. Most courses are tightly wound enough that you can just leave it in second with the occasional downshift to first on extremely tight and slow corners. I've tried the technique a couple of times, but I just won't use it enough to want to master it.

Quick Reply: driving help