New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

First time Civic (and car) owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Default First time Civic (and car) owner

Howdy, my name's Alex and I'm from Montana.

I decided to join HCF because I'm the owner of a hand-me-down manual '92 Honda Civic DX. There are so many things wrong with this car. On the outside, both bumpers are ready to fall off, there are dents and scratches everywhere, there's trim missing, and I'm not a big fan of the light green paint job. Inside, it's just very ugly and needs some major cleaning up, there's no air conditioning, and the defrosters don't work for squat. Under the hood, I've made some repairs, including drive and timing belt changes, and I replaced the head with another stock head, nothing fancy. That solved one or two problems I used to have with the car, but I still lose some oil, either burning or leaking out. My transaxle acts up once in a while when I try to shift, the gear oil probably hasn't been changed since it's last owner, who probably put about 200k of the almost 300k miles on it, I have this nagging feeling the clutch plate isn't working how it should, and my clutch pedal doesn't move as smooth as it should. Also, I'm missing the muffler, it got knocked off before I got the car. And it's a very bumpy ride.

tl;dr: It's pretty bad.

And yet, despite all this, I've fallen in love with my ride. Sure, it barely uses gas on long trips, which is the norm in a place like Montana, but that's not the reason why. She's got 4 wheels and she runs, which is more than I can ask for, so I want to repay her by doing everything I can to turn her into a shining example of a vehicle.

All I have for tools is a tiny socket set, which has all the metric sockets and a 3/8 drive ratchet, so I guess it'll work for now. Any non-power tool I can borrow from a friend or my father. I also don't have a garage. My dad has a jack I can use, but no jack stands. And as far as I know, there isn't a junkyard for miles. As you can see, I'm pretty limited in what I can do, but I plan to save up and get my baby rocking. Here's hoping HCF will aid me and my car in our trials.