New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Fraud alert !

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 08:24 AM
Exclamation Fraud alert !

Hey everyone! I wanted to share my story of disappointment. And I hope it'll be useful for everbody.
I bought a vehicle that had front end damage from a collision, which wasn't disclosed by the seller. And he’d shown me a CARFAX report, which also didn't show any accident records — the car was absolutely clean according to it. However, I ran a report on another website, epicvin.com, and it showed that the car was in an accident and then repaired. I don't know why this information wasn't disclosed by CARFAX, but now I'm aware that CARFAX isn’t a service that can be trusted, and I won't use it again.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:26 PM

Sucks man, but if something wasn't reported to carfax, nothing they could do. I usually go through autocheck opposed to carfax. It's possible that the seller didn't know about the previous damage, too

Old 04-18-2015, 05:23 PM
HCF Member

wow was my post deleted i guess carfax is a sponser of this site and doesn't want bad publicity. if thats the case then do some research into carfax and honda civic forum shame on you where suppose to help fellow members. the jhist of my previous post was carfax only is reported by certified mechanics not backyard mechanics. if bad representability on carfax behalf is going to get me baned then i don't give a **** ban me.

Last edited by itburnswhenIP; 04-18-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:20 AM

I could only wish. Carfax is not a sponsor of this site IIRC

Relax, I don't see any deleted posts in this thread either. I am not a fan of Carfax for the reasons you describe

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 04-20-2015 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:40 AM

I think their publicity is pretty bad already
Top 479 Complaints and Reviews about Carfax

Old 04-21-2015, 09:45 AM

Yes, every company has complaints. No getting around that when dealing with people/service industry. I would look at % of complaints to sales. A company sells which sells 100 items and has 50 complaints is wildly different than a company which sells 1000000 items and has 50 complaints.

Originally Posted by carfax disclaimer site
4. Disclaimer of Warranty; Limitation of Liability. YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE THAT USE OF THE SITE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. NEITHER CARFAX, ITS AFFILIATES, NOR ANY OF THEIR RESPECTIVE EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, THIRD PARTY CONTENT PROVIDERS, OR LICENSORS WARRANT THAT THE SITE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR FREE; NOR DO THEY MAKE ANY WARRANTY AS TO THE RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED FROM USE OF THE SITE, OR AS TO THE ACCURACY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY CONTENT, INFORMATION, SERVICE, OR MATERIALS PROVIDED THROUGH THE SITE.

That basically tells me that they cannot be held liable for mis information, or missing information. I know that customers don't want "the book" thrown at them. Working in CS for the past 10+ years has taught me that. But on the other side, all customers have different expectations. Sorry to hear the Carfax did not live up to your expectations.

Did you take the vehicle to a mechanic to have it looked over before buying it? Carfax will never replace what an experienced mechanic can do.

Before people get angry with me, I do not work for Carfax, nor are they a sponsor of this forum (to my knowledge at least). Just trying to get some to see the entire picture. Carfax/online car check shouldn't and will never be the sole method of determining whether or not a used car is right for you.