New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Goodbye

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 06:20 AM
Default Goodbye

For July 2008, Honda recorded record sales of Civic. Reason: Gas prices were expected to soar to over $6.00 per U.S. Gallon. We were one of the buyers...first time buyers of vehicle from foreign-owned company. My wife moved from her beloved Expedition to a Civic EX. Our son, a college student and musician frequently needed to transport full-size keyboard, amps, stage speakers, etc. So he got the Expy (and he still has it).
I retired last February, thus ending a 75 mile daily commute. My ride, a 2010 Ford Fusion had by that time racked up over 60,000 miles.
I maintain the 3 family vehicles. None have ever needed a major repair and no accidents.
On 9/11/12 we drove the '08 Civic to a Ford dealership. It had 47,000 miles on it, brand new 80,000 mile Cooper tires, and in excellent condition. It's a 4-door with sun-roof, no leather, no nav. We paid $18,740 ($20,588.25 out-the-door). For trade value, they gave us $11,500 (equal to $12,564 with tax credit).
My wife now commutes in the Fusion a round-trip distance of about 50 miles.
Here's a brief rundown of our ownership experience. To begin with, we did not like the 3 area Honda dealers. Right off the bat, one of our alloy wheels had a hole causing a tire leak. Closest Honda dealer refused to look into issue because we didn't buy there. Selling dealer insisted it was a tire problem they would not warranty. After 2 Bridgestone dealers proved to me (and marked the hole in the wheel) it was the wheel, the selling dealer refused again on 2nd visit. Finally, on 3rd visit, they replaced the wheel grudgingly. Shortly after, the driver's sunvisor flopped down and could not be put back up. This nearly caused an accident. Again, we had to take it to the selling dealer who just happened to have dozens in stock as every Civic of that year had the failure. We let them change the oil/filter. They showed us a filthy passenger-compartment filter with a leaf on top. We shelled out about $60 for that scam. Next oil change, I took it to a different Honda dealer. Lo & behold, they too brought me a filthy passenger compartment filter. Re-reading the owner's manual cover-to-cover fails to reveal where the filter is. Look on the web: a guy opens the glove box, squeezes the retainers, slides out old filter, replaces with new in under 1 minute...no tools. Very good quality ones on Amazon for $6. Passenger side sunvisor also failed.
Sometimes we got 38mpg, other times 32. No complaints about that. Major blind spot on driver's side. Uncomfortable ride. Radio below par. Fold-down rear seat backs did not release without help. Fuel door did not release on first push. Once I started changing the oil and filters myself, I was pleased with the ease. BTW: I used K&N filters. A Honda mechanic told me his dealership used Valvoline Premium conventional oil, so I did also.
Will we ever buy another Honda? NO!

Old 09-27-2012, 12:12 PM
HCF Member

Myself and many others wouldn't touch a Honda newer than 2000. After 06 there have been many recalls, the dealership always tries to squeeze as much money as possible out of you, regardless of the car make they support/sell. This isn't news, it's common knowledge in this community.

I drive an 89 and it has been the most reliable and easy to work on car I've owned. I'd never buy a Ford, that's a big step back.

Companies are profit driven. Everyone puts out the cheapest possible product in large quantities. There is a reason that Honda is losing its following.