New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Hell..oo!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 12:01 PM
Default Hell..oo!

I am A 30 y/o automotive tech.I have resently purchased a 93 civic ex(friend did not like it due to minor querks).This a new venture for a person who has never owned a honda product(other than lawn mower).Anyway...I have done many swaps on toyotas.Infact that's about all i have owned and worked on..I've done everything form street2strip,strip,etc.etc.Now....Since this thing is pretty much stock(No really,really!stock)I want a 13 or better civic.How much trouble is it?How much is it?Is it worth it with a D series block?I know bout the swaps that can be done....But I want to do it with what I gots.And can I do it and still get 30 mpg.rite now I've only got 600 bucks in the whole car.looking at building internals soon(I think I hear small knock in bottom end at higher rpm's)witch internals and who to buy from(I have some small resources here in Memphis.just not trusting what every one says..Especialy when they trying to sell me something)
Anyway I'm yammering...I like constructive crits.And If I need to move to another thread lmk.

Old 01-05-2005, 02:31 PM
Default RE: Hell..oo!

B series swap then turbo. Get beefed up internals and run high boost on the strip for 13 sec on the strip. For 30 mpg, bring the boost way down and go really easy on the throttle and MAYBE you can get 30 mpg.

Old 01-05-2005, 06:10 PM

ORIGINAL: XCM828

B series swap then turbo. Get beefed up internals and run high boost on the strip for 13 sec on the strip. For 30 mpg, bring the boost way down and go really easy on the throttle and MAYBE you can get 30 mpg.

Can't you do the same thing to a d series and run low boost and acheive the same thing?I've seen a honda that freind of freind owned have t25 with bout 8 lbs on a stock bottom end do 13.3's for about "five passes".I don't think he had any thing done to top end either.

Old 01-05-2005, 06:14 PM

BTW,what is a block gerdle?Allso I noticed a pic of some ones motor that had a...........oil??pump??....It looks like it bolted up with the main carriers.I don't know how to explain.I'll see if I can find pic and post.

Old 01-05-2005, 07:12 PM

A D series running only 8 psi isnt even going to break 200 hp. A B16 or B18 engine has around 170 hp stock, so running 8 psi will easily bring you over 200.

Old 01-05-2005, 07:47 PM

OK...

Old 01-05-2005, 07:48 PM

horse power vs. et..............not going into that one........

Old 01-05-2005, 08:31 PM

SOHC vtec boosted...are the best!...doing the same thing....definatly can get a 13 second car out of that.....and also i know a guy who ran 10 lbs of boost and a 75 shot on a stock dx motor and it lasted a year...so you can definatly be good with a d series

Old 01-05-2005, 08:34 PM
HCF Member

yeah. i agree. its not always a good tell for ets. ive seen sohcs running mid 14s NA, and it was just some guy at the track, he was just running on street drag night. and his car looked almost stock. d motors are great for a sohc, so if youre determined to do it with a d motor, go for it. but know that there is no stock LSD option with a d-series. and you could drop in a b-series with a small power-adder (NOS, or a bolt-on turbo kit) and a type r tranny, and hit mid to low 13s. but a sohc will need more than a basic kit. you will want to beef the internals really well.

i dont know if youre ready to go full bore on this, or if you just want to run 13s and thats good enough. there are plenty of options. if you want to go full-out, then youll want Carillo rods. they are the cream of the crop. they are the McLaren F1 of c-rods. if not, then pick up a copy of honda tuning and check out the ads for any aftermarket rods. anything forged should be plenty strong to hit 13s. even get a set of b18 rods and you can get them machined down to fit into a d-series motor. then get them shotpeened. and they should be good for well over 300 horsepower. thats what i would do. the machining would cost (i think) under 100 bucks, not sure about the shotpeening though. do that and shotpeen and micropolish the crankshaft, along with chamfering the oil passages and take out the stock plugs in the crank and replace them with allen head set-screws with loctite. maybe look into posting the block or installing a blockguard. then look into a good set of JE pistons. there are 2 schools of thought on the CRs, low CR, and high boost. and MID CR with lower boost. i like the higher cr because it will give you way better low-end and faster spool-up. if you plan on driving it on the street very often, which it sounds like you do, as youre worried about gas mileage, go with about 9.5:1 compression pistons. but have the CR figured for the 96-00 sohc vtec head. it has better quench pads to fight detonation. i think skunk2 has a cam set up specifically for turbo. also, look into valves, springs, and retainers so that you can rev it to like 9k. then get a Hondata or AEM standalone.

I know some of this is pretty commonsense, but i hope that you like some of my advice and i hope it helps. and i didnt think itd get this long.

Old 01-05-2005, 08:38 PM
HCF Member

oh yeah, and try to do all ARP hardware.

Quick Reply: Hell..oo!