New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Hello; New OLD Guy hoping to get some help

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 05:23 AM
Default Hello; New OLD Guy hoping to get some help

...I have always liked to do it myself, i.e., car repairs. Believe it or not I just upgraded from an '82 classic CVCC 1.5L Wagon to an 87 Wagovan. A hopeless hippie self-reliant type, I guess. The 82 was my first honda; I got it in 98 after movingon from a Courier(Mazda) pickup and a prior history w/ aircooled VW's, which I really liked; you couldn't get much more REAL/klunky/funky than that.

I find out too late this Civic, tho it runs very well, has a lot of peripheral problems. I also find out too late it previously had air-conditioning / the compressor has been removed, ... but the complexity of all the crap under the hood is really getting me down.

Can anyone answer my first question, Please???Which is:Where is the thermostat on this engine (the heater is too luke warm/ brrr / tempgauge stays low)? It's not at the top of the head in the coolant outlet hose, so it must be at the other end where the lower radiator hose goes back into the engine (is that right?). But that place is totally inaccessible under a bunch of stuff, half of which looks like it could be taken off and thrown away (part of the old A/C system or intake air preheater, etc.) If I burrow in there, will I find it?

Also, I'd like to have a Real manual for this car, as opposed to one of those BOGUS Chilton/ Haynes/ Clymer types, which have general, not specific info, and show "typical" diagrams/ pictures/ instructions...instead of specific charts for each differentvariety of car, ....butI find only that kindin theused book venues.

This car is sort of boxy, but cute, and with slightly oversize wheels it looks kind of 'tough'... I could come around to feeling some actual affection for it, if it got a bit tightenedup.......

Thanks for any input.....

Old 02-16-2007, 06:53 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Hello; New OLD Guy hoping to get some help

Hey, welcome. So you have a Wagovan ora Civic? I'm not even sure what mor is in the Wagovan, but my thermostat is on the passenger rear side of the head.

Actual Honda manuals are the way to go, but pretty expensive.

Get some pics up. I know everyone is gonna want to see your ride.