New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Hello

Old 04-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Default Hello

Hello,

My wife of 5 years and I are graduate students in Atlanta, GA. In the Fall we'll be moving up to Athens so she can start PhD work. We are also expecting our first child in October.

My first experience with a Honda was a 92 Accord I purchases 6 years ago so I could learn to drive standard. Later that year I bought my wife an Acura Integra. When preparing to leave for Africa with the Peace Corps we sold both of them, and wouldn't you know, a last minute knee injury stopped us from going.

We spent the next few years without a car, but had been hoping to find a Civic. That's when Rocinante, an ugly as sin 94 Civic Hatchback, fell into our laps. Rocinante had 250K on her, plenty of exterior rust and dent, was missing both window handles (some Vise-grips fixed that, but the driver's window didn't function anyway). On the other hand, for $750 we got a radio, A/C (the Accord had neither) and up to 52mpg (we're looking at 46 on average).

Two years later, a few trips to Buffalo from Atlanta and multiple trips to Lexington KY plus commuting, and we've put 30K on it. It was time for some brake work last week. Then our trusted mechanic tells us the transmission's going, and we ought to look for something different.

It has been a sad couple of days around here. Man I love this car! I remember when I first bought it my cousin asked how many miles it had on it. I told him, and he said, "You bought a car with 250 thousand miles on it?!?" I grinned and said, "It's a Civic." "Oh," he responded, "for a second I thought you might've taken an idiot pill, but really you might hit 500K in it then."

Too bad that doesn't seem to be the case. Well, that's my Civic story to this point.

Gracia y paz,

A