New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Hello all newbie here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 09:27 AM
Smile Hello all newbie here.

I picked up an old 91 civic hatchback this week. It needs some tlc but, I believe it could be a decent little car. It has had a motor swap done to it with a b20z2 motor installed. After market rims, the guy that I got it from didn't know much at all since he has only had it for a little while. It is running rich to the point it nearly chokes itself out, which I believe could be injectors. It idles pretty rough but, I believe that could be the running rich issue. I do have a really big question too it needs exhaust work especially from the cat back. I want something that doesn't make it really loud, would rather have a mellow tone any suggestions? I will post photos when it stops raining lol. Thank you for any and all suggestions.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:13 PM

There should be a Check Engine light if running rich. The injector timing pulse, to adjust mixture fuel, is adjusted by the Mass Air Sensor (MAS), catalytic converter, temperature and maybe some other sensors. A dirty MAS would give false air flow readings and thus wrong fuel (injector pulse) which may be outside of the exhaust oxygen sensor correction range, thus running rich or lean. Spray clean the MAS

Old 10-08-2015, 12:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Hello and welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here. Civic is a great car and I'm sure you won't be disappointed with it. May it provide unlimited fun and unhampered travel across all terrains for as long as you two are together. Feel free to reach out if you ever needed anything.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by illanrob
There should be a Check Engine light if running rich. The injector timing pulse, to adjust mixture fuel, is adjusted by the Mass Air Sensor (MAS), catalytic converter, temperature and maybe some other sensors. A dirty MAS would give false air flow readings and thus wrong fuel (injector pulse) which may be outside of the exhaust oxygen sensor correction range, thus running rich or lean. Spray clean the MAS

There are not any lights on at all. I don't even know if they did the swap correctly to be honest, but who knows. I have my mechanic looking it over today as well.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:40 AM

Update on my Honda.
The Bad
The person who did the swap did so lazily, between myself and my mechanic we have found multiple things that were done half arsed. The throttle body was not screwed on tightly at all (I could loosen the bolts by hand), there were multiple hoses missing clamps, the TPS is stuck so it needs replaced, the fuel filter was missing some of the parts to have it completely functional. It is spitting raw fuel out of the exhaust. The guy had set the timing off to where it would run richer (No clue why though). He cut the threads off of the shift rod so that it would be a "short throw". They wired the tach to the distributor. There are random wires running everywhere (no clue where or what they run to we will have to trace them to see).
The Good
The motor has good compression, transmission is pretty much perfect, the clutch and flywheel are brand new, has adjustable cam gears.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:27 AM

Update:
Got a new exhaust on. Cleaned up some odd wiring and random relays. Found a jumper in the main fuse box that bypassed the blown main 60A fuse, replaced fuse and threw away jumper. Still running a bit rich and the idle is a little better. Here is the ECU that is in the car as well.

Attached Thumbnails Hello all newbie here.-11101512211.jpg  

Last edited by Afroshark; 11-15-2015 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:30 AM

Here are a few more photos of the intake mani. I do have a question what is the small tube on the small cylinder supposed to connect to?

Attached Thumbnails Hello all newbie here.-20151114_162856.jpg   Hello all newbie here.-20151114_161310.jpg   Hello all newbie here.-20151114_161258.jpg   Hello all newbie here.-20151114_162854.jpg  
Old 11-21-2015, 03:37 PM
HCF Member

this is exactly why you don't buy modified cars especially a modified civic.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:18 AM
HCF Member
Default New exhaust

Originally Posted by Afroshark
Update:
Got a new exhaust on. Cleaned up some odd wiring and random relays. Found a jumper in the main fuse box that bypassed the blown main 60A fuse, replaced fuse and threw away jumper. Still running a bit rich and the idle is a little better. Here is the ECU that is in the car as well.
What is the brand of your new exhaust?