New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Hello. New to the Civic realm.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 07:30 AM
Default Hello. New to the Civic realm.

Whats up everyone? Name is Daniel live in Houston area. Just bought a 1992 Civic LX sedan off a local shop which had it on mechanics lein. It has a few problems since it has been sitting since 2001 with a hole in the gas tank. Here to learn as much about the car and other honda motors and setups as possible.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:41 AM
HCF Member

welcome to the forum! pics of the car?

Old 03-02-2010, 08:03 AM

Old 03-02-2010, 08:10 AM
HCF Member

not half bad at all, how much did ya pay? if you don't mind me asking.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:18 AM

$450. Sitting on Racing Hart f24s is the main reason I got it plus needed a ride. I'm trying to sell these rims but can't post in the classifieds just yet. I've put a new water pump, belt, plugs, fuel filter, fuel line, tank, fuel pump, IACV, and a few other things but for some reason it doesn't want to start on its own. I've been using starter fluid to get it to point a to b. The RPMs bounce at random times so I think has something to do with fuel pressure. I haven't changed or taken out the fuel rail or injectors but have ran two tanks of fuel injector cleaner through em. Have any suggestions on what could be up?

Old 03-02-2010, 10:04 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Idle surge is typically a result of a gunked up throttle body or air bubbles in the coolant lines. I'd try bleeding the coolant system first and work forward from there. Good luck!

Welcome to HCF

Old 03-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by Whitehead
$450. Sitting on Racing Hart f24s is the main reason I got it plus needed a ride. I'm trying to sell these rims but can't post in the classifieds just yet. I've put a new water pump, belt, plugs, fuel filter, fuel line, tank, fuel pump, IACV, and a few other things but for some reason it doesn't want to start on its own. I've been using starter fluid to get it to point a to b. The RPMs bounce at random times so I think has something to do with fuel pressure. I haven't changed or taken out the fuel rail or injectors but have ran two tanks of fuel injector cleaner through em. Have any suggestions on what could be up?
Any CEL codes? Have you inspected the distributor?

Old 03-02-2010, 10:38 AM

Inspected distributor everything good, No CEL codes, and bleeding system today. It also has low RPMs after it warms up??

Old 03-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by Whitehead
Inspected distributor everything good, No CEL codes, and bleeding system today. It also has low RPMs after it warms up??
Does the CEL work?

By low RPMs after it warms up, do you mean the idle speed is low? Try replacing the PCV valve and adjusting the idle screw on the throttle body. Also try disconnecting the O2 sensor to see whether the problem goes away. If so, replace the O2 sensor.

Regarding the need for starter fluid, measure the fuel pressure with and without the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator (FPR) attached. It's possible that the fuel pressure is low and/or that the FPR is faulty.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Sir Banned-a-lot

i agree with ronj, try replacing the pcv valve.. its like 2 bux and it rly helped my car.. it would idle low, and when i would go from a stop, it would sound like its bogging out, changed the pcv valve and it worked great. definatly try that. if its not the prob, then its only 2 bux!

Quick Reply: Hello. New to the Civic realm.