New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Hey there guys

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Default Hey there guys

What's going on everyone? I just joined because I have recently bought a Civic. Been wanting one for a while. Anywho, I now own a 1986 Honda Civic Si. It's a 5-speed obviously, and it doesn't look the greatest, but I will make her look good in no time

I bought it from my buddy for $500. He already owns a Camaro, and the Civic was his daily driver. Well he is getting a new car, so the Civic was the first to go between the two.

It's got a few minor (I hope minor anyway...) problems. Maybe some of you might have an answer!

1. I am pretty sure it needs a new battery. It died today, and had to get help starting it. It has been starting rough ever since I bought it. My buddy says it has started rough for him ever since he can remember. It's a newer motor than what was in it originally. But it just doesn't act like it wants to start sometimes. But he just says to keep the key turned and it will eventually go. Which it did, until tonight. My father thinks it COULD be more than the battery, because I have a very dim headlight, he thinks there could be a short or something somewhere, not sure. But getting a new battery in a couple days so we'll see what happens.

2. It has a fuel leak. Not sure exactly where, but it is leaking. Nothing bad though. It DOESN'T leak when the car is not running. It only leaks at the startup, and while it's running. It drips about every 5 seconds or so, right around where the tank is under the car. My buddy who has owned Honda's ever since he was 16, knows a lot, seems to think he knows what it is. And he thinks the tank will have to be dropped to get to it. I am also not sure what is going on there. We are going to try to look/work on it this weekend. Any tips/advice with this is appreciated!

And honestly that's really the only problems. I wish I had more pictures, but the weather has been bad and rainy for the past couple days, so I haven't gotten around do it.

Oh and also, something I think is cool, from my understanding it was an SCCA car at some point. There is a silver plaque right by my shifter that says, "SCCA Champion 1989." I got a kick out of that. I wish I had a picture of that too.

Anyways I will probably post some more pictures when the weather allows me to take more.

But here she is...not the prettiest, but I will love her up haha...

Not bad for 500 bucks, I don't think.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:50 PM

Oh wow I didn't realize how big these pictures were...my bad...

Old 03-08-2011, 08:44 PM
HCF Member

My guess is tha the fuel lines running under the car that go from the tank and ultimately to the fuel rail are corroded. Not that uncommon on a vhicle that old to see the hard lines leak whether they are brake or fuel since they are open to the elements 24/7.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Scott53092
My guess is tha the fuel lines running under the car that go from the tank and ultimately to the fuel rail are corroded. Not that uncommon on a vhicle that old to see the hard lines leak whether they are brake or fuel since they are open to the elements 24/7.
Still new to all this...

So do you think the tank will still have to be dropped?
And is that a pretty common fix?