New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Hi everybody! Will you help me please?

Old 08-16-2007, 04:35 PM
Default Hi everybody! Will you help me please?

Hello everybody! My name's Susan and I love that this site has a section for new members like me to introduce ourselves. I'm from a small town in Ohio and don't really know much about cars, but I'm hoping you can help me with something.

You see, I have a four year old daughter and another little one on the way - Bill and I just found out! - and I was wondering if I could get your advice on our next car. Bill doesn't know this yet (ha ha), but we're thinking about getting either a hybrid or an Odyssey. Definitely a Honda 'cause they're so reliable.

So, all you Civic owners - and particularly the moms in the crowd! - do you find your Civic to be a good family vehicle? Or if you were in my situation would you rather go for the Odessy?

Thanks!

SuzieQ

Old 08-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Stinky Administrator
Default RE: Hi everybody! Will you help me please?

welcome to the forum, well lol i'm not a mom but my wife had a 1992 civic hatch before i met her and she loved it she got it when her son was 2 . also a friend of hers has a 1997 civic sedan and she has a 1 year old daughter . so i think a civic or an odyssey would be a great choice good luck

Old 08-16-2007, 05:27 PM

Welcome to HCF and congratulation on the upcoming baby that ur about to have, and to answer ur question the new 2006+ model sedan are pretty roomyso if ur getting a civic I would recommend one of those but if money is tight and stuff I like the 96-00 civic sedan those are pretty roomy too but it all depend on ur budget. the odysseywould be the better choice but it all depend on what u can afford.
Welcome HCF once again

Old 08-17-2007, 06:45 AM
HCF Member

Congrats.My wife has a 96 civic 4dr and I have a 00 2dr. One is going because we have one daughter now. With the 4dr we have enough room but if we need to carry anything, not much room. We were thinking about the crv or pilot.For more room and personally a bit safer. But financally not sure your situation so even a used one will be perfectly fine.Both of are civic's have over 180 thousand miles and still run excelent. Out of your two suggestions I would go with Odyssey.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:49 PM

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the well-wishes and advice. Basically we're looking for a safety-first, family-friendly car that we won't have to spend a lot of time worrying about. Revn7 and s2000gtx, thankfully we're blessed to be able to afford a nicer model with reading lights and that kind of thing - though you won't be seeing any dvd players in MY backseat, amen! Oh, and automatic seat controls - which anyone who's ever been "expecting" will understand.

So if I'm looking at the Civic and Odyssey, which is the safer car? Or the Acura - somebody actually just told me that might be my best option. Peg_leg, do you know anyone with an Acura hybrid? What do you all think?

Thanks so much again!

SuzieQ

Old 08-21-2007, 04:19 PM
Stinky Administrator

no i don't as of right now acura doesn't have a hybrid car out only the civic and accord but ive done some reading on hybrids and a few car magazines say in the long run they aren't worth it. but i think you will like either the civic or odyssey they both have 5 star crash ratings and something else for you to consider is a 07 accord. i just got a 07 accord se it has alot more room than a civic and mine has a 4 cylinder motor it doesn't get as good as gas mileage than a civic but it might get better than an odyssey and the honda dealers are dicounting the accords real good right now cause the 08 accord's will be a new design car. mine listed for $22.220 i got it for $18.798 its rated at 24 city 34 highway

Old 08-21-2007, 04:34 PM
HCF Member

07 civic is cool me and my buddie are repo partners his wife is 9 months pregnate and she goes out repo with me and her 5 year old son and me and her husband are big dudes we can get in and out of it fairly quickly. like 6 air bags side curtain air bags front to back they did crash test on you tube not that musch damage to car

Old 08-22-2007, 05:45 AM

For safety the Odyssey would be the best for a child in the back seat.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:33 AM
HCF Member

Welcome to the forum suzie, if you r basically set on those 2 cars you mentioned ( civic and odessy) it all depends really on what you really NEED, u have a 2 year old and expecting, both vehiclesdid good on car crash rating, and they both have room, but if you guys travel alot, like going on vacation and stuff, the odessy is where the money is, dues to you will have room for baggage, baby stroller, diaper bag, blah blah blah, you get my point lol , and pluss the kids will be sitting right behind you, and not all the way at the back, where someone can rear end you, so i'd say if you have the money, which im assuming you do, i would go for the odessy

Old 08-22-2007, 03:48 PM

Well let me ask you then, since your advice on the Civic and Odyssey is so helpful (thank you!!!). Which car is safer and more nature-friendly, the Odyssey or an Acura? My brother told me that he thinks the Acura is safer than the Civic and has better gas mileage than the Odyssey. Is that true? I guess I can look up the gas mileage part, but the safety side I like to ask around about. How do the Odyssey and Acura match up safety-wise?

Thanks as always - you're all so helpful!

SuzieQ

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hi everybody! Will you help me please?