New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Hi. New.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 09:01 AM
Default Hi. New.

Hey guys, I found this forum while looking for some help on my Civic. I can't tell if I'm out of place here or not (female, 27, single, pretty low on the "car know-how" scale) but at least hope to learn more about my car. I have a '98 Civic LX, 115k, second owner. I've had it for 5.5 years. Currently, the catalytic converter is cracked and the O2 sensor needs replaced, according to dealer. I'm in the process of checking around for prices (total quote from dealer was $1k). I read elsewhere about that being repaired under warranty, but it seems my VIN doesn't qualify. Which sucks. A lot.

What I actually read was regarding cracked exhaust manifolds, repaired under warranty. Is that the same thing as the catalytic converter, or is that the housing around the first part of the exhaust system?

Anyway, I'll mostly be lurking, and if anyone has some wisdom to pass on, I'm all ears.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:13 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Hi. New.

Welcome to the forum! I don't know about the problems you're having. A cat conv should cost around $300 for replacement and yes the cat conv and exhaust manifold are different.
I'm not sure if your model Civic has one or two O2 sensors. On Civics with two, one is on the manifold and the other behind the cat conv. Depending which one the dealer quoted you on will determine the cost if applicable. Dealers always overcharge. I never use the dealer for repairs except in extremely rare cases... Anyway, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in and help you out. Good luck.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:21 AM

i replaced the cat converter and associated o2 sensor on my 98 dx coupe a couple months back and total i think it cost me around $650 installed in mass

i'd look somewhere besides a dealer for a better deal, as dealers always do work at a premium as opposed to one of the national repair chains that do work at a minimum

Old 09-26-2006, 10:43 AM
Administrator

dealer will always overcharge, def. check out other options, welcome to the forum!

Old 09-26-2006, 11:15 AM

I heard back from the other mechanic, and his total was the same as Honda. I may try calling dealer and asking them to consider partial coverage on the repair if I go with them. Any suggestions?

Old 09-26-2006, 11:19 AM
HCF Member

Welcome to the site...

Old 09-26-2006, 08:13 PM
HCF Member

I say try another mechanic, they are both jacking up the price.
P.S. welcome to the site

Old 09-26-2006, 08:56 PM
HCF Member

my catalytic converter (for my 92 civic) only cost my $200ish....i just went to this privately owned shop.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:42 AM
HCF Member

^^ Yeah check somewhere else... If a mechanic is charging the same as the dealer, he is out of his mind.[&:]

TIP: When you get quotes from mechanics, don't tell them the other prices you've been quoted. Sometimes they will guage their response by what you tell them. When they might have been a lot cheaper, they may take it up a notch to make more money and slightly undercut the competition.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:55 AM

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Hi. New.