New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Hi! New Civic got rear-ended! :(

Old 01-27-2007, 12:04 AM
Default Hi! New Civic got rear-ended! :(

Hi all!

I am new here!! This seemed like the perfect place to ask for a little advice. Here goes:

I bought my 2003 Honda Civic a month ago. it's an 5MT LX 2003 model. Now couple of days ago while driving back from school, a stupid kid rear-ended my car at a stop light. The damage didn;t seem like much and she agreed to pay out of her own pocket (I still got the police report done!). Anyway the right rear corner of the bumper was all punched in and my exhaust had actually punched a hole through her license plate (which was incidentally on the side of her car which struck my rear-bumper)!

Also my exhaust pipe (excuse me if I am using the wrong term but I am referring to the pipe that runs from the exhaust to the front of the car) is all bent and is hanging a bit below the car.

The total estimate on my car came out to be about $1019. All well and good and she paid me that amount.

Now my car is going into the shop on monday and now my concern is whether the exhaust itself is alright? It seems fine, just that the pipe that runs from it to the engine bay is bent and hanging loose. But what do you guys say? Also the guy who gave me the estimate said that "there won;t be anymore surprises." I hope not... but what is your input?

Also do you think there might be some other damage to the car which even the estimator over-looked?

Old 01-27-2007, 02:25 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Hi! New Civic got rear-ended! :(

Honestly, I'd just get the exhaust replaced up to the catalytic converter or so if it's getting paid for by somebody else.

How bent is it? Basically, we'll be able to tell you more if you post pictures of the accident.

And as far as more surprises or not, I guess it depends on where you take it. If you take it to a reputable and well known honest body shop, I'm sure the estimate would be right. Then again, they're called surprises for a reason.

Old 01-27-2007, 04:17 PM

Hi!

Thanks for your reply... So you mean I get the catalytic converter replaced also?

Please reply as soon as possible.

Sorry I can't post pictures... stupid verizon EVDO. But anyway... the exhaust does not look bent at all (for some strange reason)... in fact the exhaust punched a hole through her license plate. The exhaust is not bent but the exhaust pipe (the one that runs from exhaust assembly to the front of the car) is hanging loose.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:28 PM
HCF Member

Not sure about the newer hondas, but I know mine has a cat converter built into the engine compartment exhaust manifold, or header, however you want to say it. If they are still the same, then that converter will run down around the engine, and curve towards the back of the car. Everything after that would be considered a "Cat-back" system, or the pipes and equipment after the engine compartment cat converter.

Some cars have the converter located under the actual car, so as for that I am not quite sure on which you have.

A good exhaust shop will tell you if there is a problem, they look at this stuff all day long, and you would be surprised at how cheap that sort of work is. Find a good, reliable, local exhaust shop, and consult them about your worries. Standard OEM replacement tubing will be readily available if its a good shop, and a few welds fixes the problem, if it is indeed a problem.

It could just be a bracket that may have snapped or bent when the impact occured. You may also have a resonator under the car, it looks like a fatter section of tubing, usualy a few feet long. As long as that thing is in good condition, and the cat wasn't dammaged, you shouldn't be out much money at all to repair the problem. Localy, replacement OEM mufflers only cost about 100 bucks, and about 25 to install. Add a few feet of bent tubing, I can't see for any reason why it would run more then 175 total, thats with muffler replacement.

If it's just a bracket, or support, I would think you are looking at a 25-30 dollar bill, and all is well.

Old 01-28-2007, 12:17 AM
HCF Member

If it's hanging down, it most likely just came off the hangers. If you have any way of getting under your car you could do that by yourself.