New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Hi - Where do I start?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 10:59 AM
Default Hi - Where do I start?

Hey everyone

So I have been a civic owner for a couple years now... I bought a Civic Coupe (LX not Si) 06 two years ago as my first real new car, loved it to death. I still think it's a great ride but I would like to spruce it up... as I'm sure everyone here understands

My problem is that I've done a total of two things to cars in the past.. changed the windshield fluid and replaced a smashed headlight. SO I don't know where to even start! I was looking at getting some HID lights but it seems like those might be completely illegal in Canada (where I live...)

Also a buddy of mine who is decent with cars tried to increase the air intake to my engine and I think a governor or somesuch mechanism shut the engine off as it would throttle up really loud and then just shut right down

Anyway, long story short:

I would like to get to know cars, specifically my car, so HI and if anyone has any advice I am a great learner

Old 12-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Angry Admin

HAI!

welcome to the forum, im sorry that u were born in an imaginary place like canada but you can become more of a real person by moving to the USA lol =].

and whoa! wtf howd he try to increase the air intake?

read the stickies. =] they are an amazing source of great knowledgeablities

Old 12-26-2008, 11:52 AM
Banned

Turbo it.
welcome to HCF by the way

Old 12-26-2008, 01:18 PM
HCF Member

how about some pics, i would lower your car first if not already slap a nice set of wheels that would be where would i start.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by jprommel
HAI!

welcome to the forum, im sorry that u were born in an imaginary place like canada but you can become more of a real person by moving to the USA lol =].

and whoa! wtf howd he try to increase the air intake?

read the stickies. =] they are an amazing source of great knowledgeablities
haha well I lived in the US for a bit but not a citizen so obviously can't stay down there... besides I do enjoy a good bit of drifting in the snow

from what i could tell he basically cracked open the air filter box a bit to help it breathe more. then the car made a beeping noise as if it could detect that the filter had been tampered with, then shut the engine down shortly after accelerating.

ALSO thanks for the welcomes everyone! i appreciate what you guys are suggesting but what i'm really saying is i'm not a mechanic in the slightest... i'm not afraid of power tools or getting greasy by any means i just have no experience.... zero.. zip.. nada!

Old 12-26-2008, 03:24 PM
HCF Member

welcome to the forum

^ why not get a short ram intake or cold air intake?

i would start with wheels and a drop. are you looking to get more power or looks?

Old 12-26-2008, 03:57 PM
HCF Member

Lol cracking open the stock intake box wont do anything, but anyways are you willing to spend a lot of money and do you want to increase your cars hp? Or you just looking for a sweet looking ride? I wanna see some pics too, and is it AT? or MT?

If you are looking for some more hp, I would turbo it, but before you do that your going to want to do a lot of research and since your civic is newer you will probably have to buy a kit from a name brand rather than piecing it together youself.

If you are looking for a sweet looking ride, I would slap some 18s and slam that b!tch lol. I would also get an exhaust to give your car some noise, lol, and upgrade your audio. Check out www.cardomain.com to see cars like yours and what people did. I look at it all the time to get some new ideas for my car.

Old 12-26-2008, 04:53 PM

Okay... tried to take some pics but I'm on vacation and apparently the camera cable is a few hundred miles away d'oh!

Budget: Maybe $1k or so to start. That's CDN $, any idea what I can acheive with that? it's AT btw

Mostly want looks.. lower ride sounds good, although I worry about that as I drive on country roads a lot. Is a lower chassis more susceptible to corrosion damage from salt, sand, etc?

On the performance side I mostly do highway driving when I'm not in the country (highways get me to the country ) so optimizing for that might be fun too..

Last edited by jotapeh; 12-26-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:36 PM
Banned

so you use your civic for off roading?

Old 12-27-2008, 12:45 AM
HCF Member

wheels and drop would be a good point to start at. your car will definitely stand out from the rest and looks a whole lot better

Quick Reply: Hi - Where do I start?