New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Honda Civic Ex with Navi-worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 04:08 PM
Default Honda Civic Ex with Navi-worthwhile?

Hello =). Im interested in getting a honda civic with a gps navigation system. Is it better if I buy the civic ex model with navi or the lx model and install a navigation system (if so, is it possible to install a navigation system into the lx model?).

I am on a very tight financial budget, but a navigation system is a necessity for me. Please let me know what are my options considering money. Any help would be great! Thank you for your time!

sincerely,
vi nguyen

Old 08-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Default RE: Honda Civic Ex with Navi-worthwhile?

ORIGINAL: viaiko

Hello =). Im interested in getting a honda civic with a gps navigation system. Is it better if I buy the civic ex model with navi or the lx model and install a navigation system (if so, is it possible to install a navigation system into the lx model?).

I am on a very tight financial budget, but a navigation system is a necessity for me. Please let me know what are my options considering money. Any help would be great! Thank you for your time!

sincerely,
vi nguyen
I just took delivery on an '06 Sedan Navi. I've been very pleased with the system so far but haven't had a chance to test it outside of my home area yet. I've done a number of test routes with it and the system works very well in the auto-navigation mode, giving me prompts on when to turn next but it doesn't always pick the shortest and/or easiest route. Having said that, if I didn't know where I was going already, I wouldn't know the difference so it's not a big deal.

From a financial point of view, Honda gets a premium on their factory installed navigation systems. If you're that tight on the budget, you'll be better off getting an LX model and buying an aftermarket nav system. There are very good nav systems sold by Garman and others that have the same functionality as Honda's factory nav system, sometimes more, and they can be had for $500 - $700 less depending on where you get them from. They have the added advantage of being able to be placed in any car you've got. The factory unit can't be removed and used in a different vehicle.

The installation isn't difficult but it won't be an integrated install like the factory system is. I had an older Garman unit that used a mount that was secured to the dashboard by a very good double sided tape. It worked well but that mount was always there, sitting on the dash, whether the GPS unit was in the car or not. When the GPS unit was in the car, I had to deal with the power cords and such running from the car's accessory power port. It wasn't a big deal to me but it does look a little unsightly if you're sensitive to that kind of thing.

Good luck,
Steve R.