New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

I/H/E before Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 12:47 AM
Default I/H/E before Turbo?

Asking what is probably some noob questions, but I want to understand this better...

I have a 05 EX Coupe. At some point I'd like to put in, or more likely, have someone else put in a turbo. Until then, I'd like to do pop on some I/H/E bolt-ons. When I finally go for the turbo, will the intake and headers I previously installed be replaced by components specific to the turbo system? In other words, is it wasted effort and money to put in a new intake and headers if I'm going to eventually get a turbo anyways? Or will these systems compliment the turbo or even be used by the turbo?

If this is in the wrong section, feel free to move it. It seems to span topics from several sections, so I wasn't entirely sure where it should go.

Old 07-27-2006, 01:06 AM
Default RE: I/H/E before Turbo?

WELCOME! honestly i think its a waist to spend roughly $500 on i/h/e if u know ur gena end up turboed...i'd just wait till i get the turbo set up and save that other money u woulda spent on an intake and header on other parts that u might need for the turbo set up and for broken parts...the only thing i might do is get 3 inch piping exhaust but even so kinda pointless cuz u'll lose power untill boosted..

Old 07-27-2006, 03:34 AM
HCF Member

U'll be fine with 2.5' piping for your exhaust, even when turboed. Unless you plan on gaining insane HP, then I'd say go for the 3' piping.

TiCkEr

Old 07-27-2006, 06:22 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Definitely do NOT put a header and intake on your car if you plan on boosting, it's a complete waste. You wont be able to use either when it comes time to boost so what's the point of ever putting them on? At least you've got a solid plan in mind, unlike me who piddled around with a couple bolt ons before snapping out of it and realizing I wanted to boost. Could have saved myself a lot of time and money, but ya live and learn

Good luck on your project, and welcome to the forum!

Old 07-27-2006, 10:51 AM

If the mod bug is biting you, go ahead and do the i/h/e, but don't expect too much. When you are ready for the turbo, you could easily sell those parts on ebay or here to re-coup some of your money. Have fun though!!!

Old 07-28-2006, 12:56 AM

turbo 7th gen, rode in my buddies and it was dead slow. But if you want to turbo, dont waste money on i/h.

Old 07-28-2006, 11:44 AM
HCF Member

I got i/h/e and still plan on a turbo in my future. But im only 17 so its not in my plans for a couple of years. It just all depends on how far down the road you think the turbo will be.

Old 07-28-2006, 07:34 PM
HCF Member

Yeah that turbo hits you in the wallet pretty good, but if you really want it save and get it.

Old 07-28-2006, 08:10 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: civicexracer

WELCOME! honestly i think its a waist to spend roughly $500 on i/h/e if u know ur gena end up turboed...i'd just wait till i get the turbo set up and save that other money u woulda spent on an intake and header on other parts that u might need for the turbo set up and for broken parts...the only thing i might do is get 3 inch piping exhaust but even so kinda pointless cuz u'll lose power untill boosted..
I agree with what my co worker here says. +1 ( we are the welcoming crew if you didnt know)

Old 07-31-2006, 09:34 AM

ORIGINAL: Forty04

Definitely do NOT put a header and intake on your car if you plan on boosting, it's a complete waste. You wont be able to use either when it comes time to boost so what's the point of ever putting them on? At least you've got a solid plan in mind, unlike me who piddled around with a couple bolt ons before snapping out of it and realizing I wanted to boost. Could have saved myself a lot of time and money, but ya live and learn

Good luck on your project, and welcome to the forum!

Exactly.

if your plan is to do turbo then do not do I/H. as they will not be able to be used with your turbo plans.