New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

I need help fast, wifes car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 02:20 PM
HCF Member
Default I need help fast, wifes car won't start

I am new to this site, and not shure where to look for the answer to my problem.
In the summer, my 90 civic has a starting problem. When the temperature outside
gets hot, it sometimes won't start, it's random. It will crank over, but I am getting no spark.

If this is not the right place to post this, please tell me what forum I should be in

Thanks

Old 07-14-2006, 04:02 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: I need help fast, wifes car won't start

Try the general tech help section, that is where most people go with their problems. Best of luck getting it figured out!

Old 07-14-2006, 06:25 PM
HCF Member

SOme possibilities would be an Igniter, these usually give people problems in the summer with the heat. Or check the main relay, this is a very common problem among EFs. Whenever they heat up the wires contract and lose connection cause the solders are bad. If you do need a main relay let me know I have a brand new one sitting in my garage.

Old 07-15-2006, 01:24 PM
HCF Member

Thanks to both of the people who responded.
I was in a bit of a panic, you know how it is when it's the wifes car.
never happens at home.
after I posted, I checked the tech section, and found several similar problems,
but none quite like mine.
a storm came through and dropped the temp from 95 to 75, car starts.
I will check the items that you suggested.
once again thank you

Old 07-17-2006, 05:13 PM

Hi I'm new too, and was looking thru the posts and getting ready to post an introduction also when I saw your post.

EXACTLY the problem we're having here on our 89 Honda Civic SW. A mechanic for my sister ( prior owner) said its "common" in Hondas and replaced the Main Fuel Pump Relay, along with the Idle Air Valve and distributor cap and rotor. He said when the weather gets hot, and the car sits out, regardless whether driven or not, it won't start. Thats the Main Fuel Pump Relay.

They replaced those parts in Oct 05. It was not driven since except to drive it up to Jacksonville, florida from Orlando. No problem.

We didn't have the first starting problem until around April. Drove it across town, drove it back, on the way back stopped at store, 10 minutes later came out it woudln't start. Waited about 30 minutes started.

EACH time it will do this. No rhyme or reason. When it doen'st start, it turns over, slows up a bit and blows out white smoke.

Wait a few minutes and it starts.

Its been in the mechanics for 2 separate occasions now for them to fix it and they can't make it do it. Its done it to Wayne 6 times already in the last few weeks. Its getting worse. ( typical of what I was told by my sister and her mechanic in Orlando, the hotter the weather the worse it gets.) It does not overheat.

Also, the auto fan is not consistant now. It would come on automatically when you turned off the engine, now it doesn't.

We've spent 1500 on new brakes, and its a good little car for going back and forth to work, and the body is good. WHATS UP???

Also, the mechanic found a small leak in the radiator and something to do with the compression?? It runs smooth and usually cranks right up. But they still can't get it to not start.

Anyone????? BTW this is my first Honda. It was a gift, so I am willing to do some fixup on it since the body is in good shape and it drives nice ( except for that CVjoint that needs replacing :-) and the window that doesn't go down, and the air conditioner that doesn't work and..............................

Thanks,
Lisa^^ in Jacksonville, Florida with 89 Honda Civic Station Wagon