New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Im a customizing virgin

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 01:36 PM
Default Im a customizing virgin

I've always wanted to customize a car and soon I'll get my chance.
problem is I don't know whats best and have no one to show me.
so...
i have a standard '92 honda civic 4 door dx, I've had it for a while but me and my girl are about to each get new cars so i plan on putting the civic in the garage and stripping it down. or getting a newer civic thats 2 door and seeing what my best approach is.
I guess my first question would be is it worth messing with this car or should I try to get something newer and 2 door?

If I replace the motor, which I will if I go with my current car, should i get a Vtec or is there something else I should get?

Old 08-02-2005, 01:53 PM
Default RE: Im a customizing virgin

obviously I'm new to forums as well. I guess i posted this in the wrong forum
sorry. will repost in the correct one.

Old 08-02-2005, 01:54 PM
HCF Member

he ment vtec...i sware he did...lol...please tell me you did...

no you posted in the right one...

how much paper do you have?? thats gonna be a major part of your choices..and what are you tryin to go for..some of us like old school stuff that might not look to much but rides hard..and others like the newer slicker look but still does damage...its all personal opinion..in the end its your car not ours..so we can just tell you what does better performance wise..what most people think looks the best..but you gotta pick.

oh and btw..there is no h in vtec

Old 08-02-2005, 02:42 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: freebass

so...
i have a standard '92 honda civic 4 door dx, I've had it for a while but me and my girl are about to each get new cars so i plan on putting the civic in the garage and stripping it down. or getting a newer civic thats 2 door and seeing what my best approach is.
I guess my first question would be is it worth messing with this car or should I try to get something newer and 2 door?

If I replace the motor, which I will if I go with my current car, should i get a Vtech or is there something else I should get?

Careful, that is a fighting word here. You're new so youll get a break. Anyway, like DCA said, it depends on the smackoroos you can throw down. Me personally, Id get a '99-'00 2 door ex which comes with the Vtec D16y8 1.6. The 99-00 is the EK generation (I dont know what it stands for but thats the generation code). The EK generation is arguably (from select memebers here) one of the best generations of civics.

Old 08-02-2005, 02:47 PM
HCF Member

EK's RULE

Old 08-02-2005, 03:47 PM

haha <vtech> I didn't notice I did that.
see i do like the way the body of mine looks and i have several ideas for the body
i guess my question should've been are you really gonna get that much more speed from a 2 door vs a 4 door.

and for me body isn't really a problem i got a friend that made a custom body kit and spoiler for his car and it looks great. I got another guy that works in a body shop and can paint my car.

so lets say hypothetically speaking i could lay down $3000-$4000 just in the engine what should i get.

Old 08-02-2005, 04:06 PM
HCF Member

Please, you all know EG's run this thang.

$3-4K? You just opened up an entire universe of Honda engineering.

The first and foremost question you should answer is- Do you want to stay N/A or go Turbo?

Old 08-02-2005, 04:21 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

First off, welcome!

Like Sniper said, you should probably choose to either go N/A or FI (Forced Induction such as turbo, supercharger, or nitrous). If you want my two cents, I would go N/A for now. Only because you're going to end up spending 3-4k on just a turbo, and nothing else. While if you go N/A for now, you could do a plethera of things. So i guess that will be your first major decision, after your mind is made up, it will give us all a much better idea of what to make you more aware of. Good luck, and most importantly, have fun!!!

-40-

Old 08-02-2005, 08:08 PM

Welcome to the forum!
I must agree with forty04 here, go n/a for now, 3-4k can get you a boatload of performance parts for your civic. A boatload. But to each his own and it IS your car. Good luck! Have fun!

Old 08-02-2005, 09:31 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: freebass

so...

If I replace the motor, which I will if I go with my current car, should i get a Vtech or is there something else I should get?

so if your a customizing virgin..and we helped out..does that mean we popped your cherry... lol mod's can delete this at any point lol

Quick Reply: Im a customizing virgin