New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Im officially a civic owner! Joi!

Old 09-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Default Im officially a civic owner! Joi!

Hi World!

I just recently bought myself a '92 Civic Si Coupe. She is red and little and so wonderful! And I named her Kayla...mmmmm, Kayla.

I am a prior show car builder but I've never owned a car that twas older than '96. I started with a Gen2 Eclipse GSX then I moved on to an M3. Both were so much fun to build.

I was wondering if there are places that I can be directed to for paint. I'm thinking maybe go with a metallic red? (if that is possible). And does anyone know where I can find motorized car door openers? Cause I'm shaving down the doors and doing the Lambo conversion.

I look forward to picking all of your minds in the near future...enjoi!

Old 09-01-2008, 10:43 AM
HCF Member

So you are making this car a show car as well? You could check the appearance section.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Recognized HCF Member

now you talking about motorized doors like actuators or solinoid when shaving the door handles to pop the doors?
motorized and shaved doors are 2 different things!

Old 09-01-2008, 11:31 AM
HCF Member

I think what he is saying is that he is shaving the handles off his doors and wants his doors to open and closed by being motorized.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well by doing that you need someone really good with motorizing stuff..... not really easy thing to do both!
the door solinoids are easy... autoloc popers. IMO get at least 30lb solinoids theres no such thing as overkill on solinoids but you can get to weak!

and to fully open close the door ive seen people use liniar actuators. but to use the actuators you cannt just put them in the hinge area because it wont open the door. the ones ive seen have extensive modifications to clear a pivot patch for the actuator... needless to say its not a off the shelf kinda thing! it takes alot of trial and error!

unless your talking about lambo motorized doors, those are commonly easy. expensive but doable easy enough. just buy some good lambo doors! i hate those cheapies that dont give you much space at all get in and out!

Old 09-02-2008, 12:06 AM

well ive been seeing the conversion kits for the lambo doors and it makes sense. i have all the tools that i could ever need to do any job really. yes i meant to say shave the handles and put under door poppers. shouldve been more descriptive, sry for that. and 30lbs? i heard 50lbs is the way to go for solies. ill browse around in the appearance pages and see what i can come up with.

thank so much for the tips and pointers, more importantly just for accepting me.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:47 AM
Recognized HCF Member

for trucks yes 50lbs is best but i had i think 35lb soln on my old truck and they always worked great.
for a civic 30lbs should be enough!
and i used billet door poppers. they seemed to push the door open very nice.
when i had my truck this is where i bought my parts from... http://www.customclassic.com/

and if you shave the trunk key DEFINALTY use 2 backup ways to get in the car!!! remote jumper terminals and a pull cable... or even run a power wire under the car that goes directly to the solinoids IMO best to do both on the backup they dont have to be connected just leave the wire under the car and leave the wire capped on the end so it wont short out when you use the solinoids regularly.... then if you do have a fuse blow or wireless issue you can simply get some jumper cables and a friends car and some wire stripers to get into your car.

trust me after the first time of locking yourself out YOULL WISH YOU DID!!!!! otherwise its SMASH THE WINDOW OUT! i was locked out several times and took me forever to get in!