New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

intakes short rame vs. cold air

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Default intakes short rame vs. cold air

is there a big difference? and is there any HP gain? i got a short ram and was thinkin about gettin a cold air.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:56 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: intakes short rame vs. cold air

I've always been told that cold air is better because it is not exposed to as much of the engine heat as the short ram. It's located outside the engine compartment and is in much better shape in terms of airflow and air temprature.

Does anyone else agree?

Old 03-07-2007, 01:19 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: that guy

I've always been told that cold air is better because it is not exposed to as much of the engine heat as the short ram. It's located outside the engine compartment and is in much better shape in terms of airflow and air temprature.

Does anyone else agree?

That's true but there's so many different opinions out there. Some people say by the time the air gets up the cold air intake it's heated up already. I'm running short ram right now because it's winter and I don't feel like getting water/snow in my intake. The way I see it unless you're spending big money on a V2 or something, the only thing that matters is the filter, the rest is just a pipe.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:02 AM
HCF Member

lifes' short. get what you want.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:02 AM

Found this at Honda-Tech, hope it helps:

First things first, enabling the engine to breath; after all, engines are nothing but air pumps.
Intake Path: To start off, we look at the filter and piping. Cold Air Intakes (CAI) although some assume just relocate the air filter into the front bumper, are actually acoustically tuned to the engines they are made for and allow for a rather comfortable bump in the mid-range horsepower. K20s (RSX-S for this example) have been dynometer (dyno for short) proven at +20 whp (wheel horsepower) with a CAI as apposed to the 5 whp with a "short ram" design. The AEM V2 although costs more is also designed and tuned for both mid and upper RPM acoustics. If you don’t have to worry about water, get a CAI made with acoustic testing. (Read: AEM)

Good luck

Old 03-07-2007, 07:22 AM
HCF Member

theres never an answer really, because its usually a matter of opinion or what yo uwat out of the intake. Short ram is snappier with better throttle respone, while Cold Air will give you top end. Short ram is usuually louder (since the filter position is actually closer to you), while Cold Air is usually deeper. Use the search feature in the future, there are LOTS of threads about this same exact thing.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:28 AM
HCF Member

well i know that its just my opinion, but i prefer the longer cold air due to the better sound, and i have to believe that thie air dosent get "as" heated as drawing in hot air from behind the radiator... plus i prefer the lower deeper sound of the longer pipe....

Old 03-07-2007, 09:04 AM

I took off my resinator box last year and fit some custom pvc piping at the end of the intake tube, angling the tubing towards away from the engine. I noticed my gas mileage improved slightly due to themore direct circulation.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:39 AM
HCF Member

i've heard of custom intakes a few times but i think an AEM or Injen would beat it anyday. Do you still have the stock air box on there? Thats usually pretty restrictive (or so i've heard)