New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Measuring horsepower? and what do you guys think of stock body options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 02:28 AM
Default Measuring horsepower? and what do you guys think of stock body options?

While I've been lurking, I've seen a lot of references to horsepower gain. I wondered how the heck this is measured (how can you tell, for example, that an exhaust system gives you an additional 8 HP or whatever). I came across this, which I thought was worth linking:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/horsepower1.htm

So are most of the HP measurements here pretty accurate? Have some of you hooked your cars up to dynamometers after installing aftermarket parts and seen a measurable gain?

Also, I'm just sort of wondering what people think of the stock body parts. I'm driving an 07 Black EX 4 door, and I actually think some of this stuff might look pretty cool on this car without being overly aggressive. I'm getting too old for that stuff (I'm 32) and one of my previous cars was an Olds '69 Cutlass with a Rocket 350 in it that blew the doors off of damn near anything I came across (I drove it in the early 90's).

In short, best gains in HP for daily driving? Stock accessories, do you think they suck? I dunno...I'd like to keep this thing clean.

Thanks for your input!

Old 03-28-2007, 07:27 AM
Default RE: Measuring horsepower? and what do you guys think of stock body options?

best throttle response (not necessarily horsepower gain) will be intake, header (nothing to see here) and exhaust upgrades.

biggest horsepower gain, forced induction

best mods for handling, coilovers, strut bars, sway bars and tires

best body mod: lip kits

stay away from tacky overly involved body kits et al, and you'll be fine

Old 03-28-2007, 11:04 AM
Default RE: Measuring horsepower? and what do you guys think of stock body options?

**COUGH**HEADER**COUGH**

Sorry cder had to.

Most of the Hp numbers you'll see here are estimates, unless there is a dyno sheet posted none are exact. So many different variables to in to measuring hp; altitude, air temp, air content, etc, etc. and every engine reacts differently; even to the same mod. A lot of people on here will use a range instead of a fixed number. ie. exhaust will gain 8-10 hp.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:27 PM
HCF Member

i think you need to stay away from body kits, the 07's are just plain sexy in general....also, intake header/exhaust will increase your fuel economy too! (more power, more MPG, better sound For The Win!!!) if you want big power, Turbo.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Chimera02EX

**COUGH**HEADER**COUGH**

Sorry cder had to.
:P

Old 04-02-2007, 04:23 AM

Hey guys & thanks,

I wasn't going to do anything overly involved to the body. If anything, I was thinking of adding a front under spoiler and deck lid spoiler to the '07, both stock honda kits. The '07's ARE sexy. Had it parked next to a black Mercedes last night, and almost went to the wrong car - the view from behind is pretty similar.

I'll start poking around the forums for advice on headers, exhaust, and intake. My one concern (seeing as how I'm so mechanically backward) is voiding the warrantee. Adding this stuff voids the warrantee, no? So I may just wait until it expires and THEN start modding this thing out (by that point I should have some serious cash saved up for just that purpose)....but hell, I want instant gratification...anyone know offhand if adding after-market exhaust, etc. voids the warrantee? I can study the fine print until my eyeballs bleed, but if I do that, I'll wind up thinking NOTHING is covered).

Thanks again and regards. I'll try to get some pics up soon, but right now, everything is stock, you may as well go to www.honda.com and look at 07 EX Civics.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:47 AM
HCF Member

Yeah, I/H/E. Intake header and Exhuast. Yeah, Good point about voiding your warranty. I think it does, im not sure about honda really but i know my dad couldnt put Magnaflows on his F150 cause' of it.
Good luck man.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:45 AM
HCF Member

The answer to your question about how do you know how much Hp you gain from some product. Well if you buy a name brand product, they usually have their own dyno tests of their product, on their website. so then you just guesstimate about how much. So if the site says you gain 6 HP off of their intake, then its usually around 4-8 or whatever

Old 04-02-2007, 05:34 PM
HCF Member

most people concerned with warrantees that I know just wait to mod their cars.

the '07s sick anyway