New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Meet Betty

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:02 PM
Default Meet Betty

She's a sweet 1993 EX with a D16Z6. Betty is what I think I used to call her. Anyhow, she's been in the family for quite some time now, 14 years or so. The only viable picture I could find though is the one posted in my garage. Certainly there will be more to follow. It's been bounced around between me and my siblings until I finally purchased it a year or two ago. So, it's my baby and I plan on nursing her back to health.

I began having coolant issues and decided action was necessary instead of topping off the radiator every couple of days. Once I figure out a good place to publicly store my pictures, I will post links to all the photos of my engine build...Got some goodies so far.

I'm still unsure of where it is appropriate to post my questions, so i'm just going to post the first ones I have in this introduction.

I have taken the engine out of the car and have had machine work done to the head and block. I am in the process of reconstruction. Be sure to check out my latest posting on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t-LklBlsW4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp_djePxxJo

Just a neat little vid of me breaking down the engine...for the second time. I need to combine the videos, unfortunately the camera batteries died because I forgot to plug it in. So, this was me breaking the engine back down when I realized that I didn't want to use my original crankshaft.

And so finally for the first question. If there was no machine work done to the crank or block bearing surfaces, do I need to buy individually sized bearings for the crank and rods? The block is stamped with the main bearing sizes, the crank is stamped with main and rod bearing sizes and the rods are stamped with the journal sizes? I purchased standard sized bearings (recommended by my machinist after measuring everything), when I bought my pistons. The rods are the original stock rods. It seems after pouring through the forums that this is not a question people have asked. I guess if you're trying to build the engine you should already know this?

And for the second question. When putting the timing gear onto the crankshaft, should there be any play on the shaft?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jIvzH8USmw

I bought a second crankshaft because the first had keyway and bolt thread issues, but both cranks had this wobble. Is this normal. I have also purchased a new balancer/pulley and timing gear, but have not checked the new gear on the new crank. I purchased the gear with the balancer because I figured perhaps the old one is worn? So, what gives?

Last edited by AndyFendrich; 03-15-2011 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Typos and missing info
Old 03-16-2011, 01:58 AM
Stinky Administrator

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the purchase and i wish you good luck on the rebuild. Your questions on the bearing sizes & crank shaft play you can post in the tech part of the forum. Good to see another Civic on here called Betty i call my 09 LX sedan Back Seat Betty lol.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:09 AM

Back seat Betty. Good stuff, hehe. I know that most people nickname their cars, and I think I eventually decided Betty was her name. I'll redirect my questions to a better location.