New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

modifications

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 10:33 PM
Default modifications

Hey all, I recently purchased a 99 ex that has been lowered (extreme) I would like to raise this vehicle (slight). Could somebody offer advice on where I might find a how to or offer suggestions on parts. I would also like to increase horsepower without compromising fuel economy any suggestions? Thanks for your assistance.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:50 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: modifications

If you're not good with cars and mods, forget doing suspension stuff yourself. That's what I'll kindly call and invitation for error. In other words, you would be well served to find someone to assess what's already been done to the car in terms of parts (quality, brand, reliability, etc.) and the way those parts were installed.

Once you've done that, people on here can give you a hand as to what to choose for the next step.

As for fuel efficiant speed, go with a cold-air intake (or short-ram). They are the quickest way to pick up a few hp. After that, you can go with any number of other things. Get a nice set of 4-2-1 headers and a high flow cat and have some shop run three inch pipe all the way back from that. As for the muffler itself, there are hundreds, maybe thousands to choose from. Remember, though, fuel efficiancy isn't worth crap if you can't keep your foot off the pedal...

There is a products review section on here in the general forum that can give you the shootouts for all those parts. Look for brandnames in terms of reliability and quality in design. Look to eBay for cheap and functional. Everything else you need to know, someone else on here will be able to tell you.

Good luck and welcome.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:21 PM
HCF Member

^ 3" piping? you my friend have a lot of learning to do as well, i would keep it around 2-2.25 on his setup, if he's looking to turbo it, i'd say 2.5 would be fine.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:49 AM
HCF Member

yeah 2.5" at the most, 2.25" is usually prime. I/H/E is always good, unless your planning to boost, in which case you should save your money for that anyway. As far as susepsnion goes, do you know what kind of susepnsion youre running right now? If its just lowering springs, switch them to Tein S-Techs or H-Techs for a milder drop (i imagine, although i'm not sure of your definition of extreme lowered). Pictures would be helpful too

Old 03-15-2007, 12:42 PM
HCF Member

yes, extreme to you may not be extreme to me...heres a question, does your car ever bottom out on speed bumps? mine does...so i guess thats considered extreme? if you suspension is adjustable...you can change it that way. if not, you can change your struts back to that of stock spec...(most performance struts will lower your car a little...like 3/4 in or about there.) or get lowering springs that are rated to lower less than what you have... also, suspension stuff isnt that hard, struts/springs are basically straight up...the only thing you will have a problem with is compressing the spring. (you can rent one from you local autozon for $40 bucks...you take it back, they give you your $40, they keep the tax) and maybey your lower control arm bolts will be rusted. my drivers side was and i had to buy new ones. Also, 2.5 piping will be fine, just make sure you have a resinator...and AEM cold air intake will give you a really good power increase and since your getting more/colder air, your getting better fuel economy....but you have to keep your foot off of the fire wall or it means nothing.

pix would be nice

Old 03-15-2007, 02:11 PM
Administrator

this thread made me laugh, just get some stock shocks if you want it back to normal, or some bigger springs or coilovers, then you can adjust it yourself., the next thing is PLEASE dont get 3" piping, you will be laughed at for losing power. 2.25" if your are going to mod at all. thanks.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:12 PM

i agree with all of u but as for extreme no car can be lower then mine i hate it my car sits bout an inch or 2 from the ground it had an air ride system on it but i took it off the cylinders r still on it but im gettin a racing suspension on it tommorrow,im hopin for the performance im thinkin ill get

Old 03-15-2007, 05:17 PM
HCF Member

^ what do you think a race suspension exactly is?

if it's not road legal, then it's considered a race setup

Old 03-15-2007, 09:06 PM
HCF Member

wats classifiedas "not road legal", im just curious lol

Old 03-15-2007, 09:44 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: R35P3KT

wats classifiedas "not road legal", im just curious lol
aka: my setup, it's for "OFF ROAD USE ONLY", but no one really cars about that. i just thought it was funny that the guy kept saying he was getting his "race suspension" when all he had to say was new suspension parts or something. lol

Quick Reply: modifications